1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers Electric SS Vbox spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by spaceman12321, Jan 25, 2011.

1. spaceman12321

spaceman12321 Junior Member
    from midwest

I am wanting to know from those specifically who have the Buyers 8' SS Vbox electric spreaders, I currently have 3 gas powered Buyers Vbox spreaders and am considering trying an electric.

How long have you had it?

How does the power or ability to drag wet/frozen salt compare to a gas powered Vbox?

Have you had any malfunctions, broken components etc?

Have you put exensions on the sides?

I usually spread 300-400 tons of salt per year, so this spreader could easily spread 100-200 tons in its first year, obviously reliability is important to me.

Thanks for your input, that is what is great about these forums.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

suscribing. working on compling info to convert a gas v-box to eletric
  3. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

why would you want an electric one? do the gas ones give you many issues?
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

No, I don't have a problem with them. I am very mechanically inclined... it is the guys that are running the trucks that I just don't have the time or pacience to sit on the other end of the phone and try to explain how to make a single cylinder motor run in the middle of snowstorm that I already have more than enough going on. :realmad:

Most of my guys are good, but I guess that some people have it and some people just don't.

Mainly, I want to take the gas, oil, choke, flooding, tough cold weather starting, all that good stuff out of the equasion. I have to carry a 5 gallon can of gas as all my trucks are diesel and have transfer tanks with diesel in them, but the spreader is the only thing that runs on gas. The 5 gallon can takes up quite a bit of room in the tool box on the truck.

Plus, the space that is consumed by a spare eletric motor v.s. a spare gas motor would make me want to keep a spare on the truck v.s. driving an hour back to the shop, changing a motor, then an hour back. And, electric motor = $200 / Gas motor = $600.

These are just my thoughts. (I don't sleep much anymore)
  5. spaceman12321

spaceman12321 Junior Member
    from midwest

When its cold out everything has issues. Have you ever had something work fine when its warm and not work when its cold? The more mechanical components there are, the more there is to go wrong when its friggin cold out.

With a gas spreader you have to fight the electric speed control that can stick, you have to choke it, unchoke it, battery dies, cranks but doesnt start, sputters and it only holds a couple quarts of gas and needs to be filled constantly.

The electric spreaders have fewer components, no chains, sprokets, clutches, starters, etc.