1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers electric spreader info

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by SGC08, Nov 3, 2008.

1. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Anybody know what size electric motors Buyers uses in their 1.5yd (SHPE1500) and 2 yd (SHPE2000) spreaders? I can't find it in any literature so I called them today. The lady on the other end of the phone insisted it was a Briggs&Stratton.:dizzy: I tried explaining that I was referring to the electric model but she just didn't get it. She transferred me to someone's voice mail but I didn't hear back from them. I thought that would have been a fairly easy question but I guess not.

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Sorry for the confusion. The motor being used on the SHPE's is a 4" 1/2HP gearmotor. This is an upgrade from the motor we were using two years ago, and should not give you any trouble.

Regards,
    Scott Moorman
    Director of Engineering
    BPC

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

any problem's with power?

i am getting ready to buy one......i'll order it tomorrow if i have time.

how do you suggest tie-ing one down...say in a bed of a pickup truck?

does it need to be bolted?...can it even be bolted?

i was going to use one on my flatbed,.... is strap's good enough to tye on down?

thanks ;)

i have had alot of buyer's product's and must say...you guy's make a verry quality product at a great price, and that honesty and admirable buisnessmanship is the reason i keep comeing back for more :D

what should i expect to pay for a 12-14' pusher with a bucket mount? you can PM me if you would like

thanks again

PJ

4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words - you've hit exactly what we're aiming for - good products at a good price.

The SHPE's are pretty bulletproof - the motor's at this point are overpowered. The only problem you'll hear about is someone leaving their salt in overnight and it FREEZING...

The SHPE0750 and 1500 have a ledge to position them in the truck that should be used in conjuction with straps. The SHPE2000 does not have a ledge, and must be cross strapped OR strapped in conjuction with a spacer of some sort (between the spreader and the bed).

There's been a lot of discussion on this point - in order the straps to work, they really need to be at some kind of angle to constrain the spreader in both directions.

You can't bolt down the SHPE's - on a flat bed you would use straps. The SHPE is designed for that.

The SHPE4000 is a different beast - and MUST be bolted down (think of it as a poly electric V-box).

As far as the ScoopDogg goes, try http://www.scoopdoggpushers.com/Distributors/findDistributor.asp to find a distributor and give them a call. Freight is such an issue with these I'm not sure I could give you a good price estimate.

Regards,
    Scott Moorman

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  5. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Will these salt dogg poly/electrice v-boxes spread ice chips? By ice chips I mean 3/8" clean limestone? Basically it's rock salt size but limestone. Just looking for info. I've heard only positive things about the poly-electric hoppers. Any help would be great.

6. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

From the perspective of BPC - I'm going to say no, that we didn't design it for spreading limestone chips.

However, I have heard of a customer using it to spreader granite chips (don't know what for) and the plastic held up just fine. He did have to fiddle with the baffles a bit though.

If the chunks fit through the grate, than you might be OK.

Scott Moorman
    Director of Engineering - BPC

7. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Thanks. Size wise, they are 3/8" or smaller size, which is about the size of rock salt. I just didn't know if they would be too "aggressive" on the components as they are harder than rock salt. Around here the township's mix them with rock salt to make the salt go a little farther. However the run their mix through undertailgate hydro spreaders.

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Well, again, I'd have to say I'm not sure how it would do only because we don't test with anything but salt and salt/sand mix. The SHPE design is pretty simple and robust, but you would definitely be wearing at a faster rate than with rock salt.

Scott

9. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Thanks for your help and honesty.

10. SGC08

SGC08 Member

We ran anti-skid through ours last year and had no problems. What we call anti-skid here is basically small stone, slightly larger than screenings. We use it on some accounts that either don't want salt or have unpaved surfaces.

11. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

SGC,
    What model saltdog are you running? Did you fill the spreader full and spread immediately or did you drive for a while before spreading?

12. SGC08

SGC08 Member

We have a SHPE1500. I loaded straight anti-skid one or twice and drove 15-30 minutes and spread it. We usually ran salt/anti-skid mix and would drive around all day before spreading it without a problem. The only time we ever had any problems was when it sat over night and froze which was probably the salt more than the anti-skid. The anti-skid breaks up much easier than the salt.

Ours is also the older model. The new ones have a more powerful motor so they should be even better. I am considering buying another one this year but haven't made up my mind yet. We have been very happy overall with ours.

13. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I am looking at buying the Salt Dogg 1.5 yard poly spreader. How well does this thing work with a 50/50 mix. Can you drive all day with it back there or are you asking for trouble. Also how long can you leave it back there it will be kept in a heated shop. Any advice for this spreader will be great.

14. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Spoorman,

thanks for the education, we're in the process of ordering; i have been informed by others that I could purchase the larger version (2yd.) for a 6'.5" bed, is this true or would you suggest the 1.25 version? its being placed on a f-350; your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

15. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Definitely - they all work in all standard beds. For an F-350 that would be no problem at all.

Scott

16. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thank you for your advice, we're dealing with RH Scales Westwood Ma,...good people!
    One other question, what tailgate spreader is capable of spreading lets say..60 salt/40 sand; please note the equipment is stored indoors so freezing isn't an issue and truck w/spreader would be traveling a short distance 10 miles when called upon. thanks again.