1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers brand???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mdwstsnow512, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

Seems like the market is flooded with Buyer's equipment. i have always viewed it as a Generic, sub standard brand.

whats your opinion and experiences?

thinking of buying a salt spreader.

2. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

Buyers is Salt Dogg, I've got a TGSUVPROA and it's a great unit so far. I've run a little over 10000 pounds of bagged salt through it and no problems short of a pallet of finer salt that was not dry. I fit 7 bags in that unit easily, it's well constructed has an okay motor and a really good controller. Assembly and installation was a breeze and the price was right, a comparable SnowEXpensive unit was literally twice the price.
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

first off, I DON'T OWN ANY BUYERS PRODUCTS, however i have researched many of them, and plan on buying a few in the next year or two. i get the impression it is the entry level commercial brand, it is going to stand up to commercial work, but isn't the same costs, so really it depends on what you desire, if you want zero problems and a great product, pay the premium for the most expensive bells and whistles equipment, if you don't mind the occasional motor, or pump going, or having to deal with the odd clog, go buyers. personally i think they are a very fair priced piece of quality equipment and i well be happy to give them the benefit of my buisness.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I run buyers salt spreaders and they work great and use buyers wings and they work great. Very good company to work with.
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Since buying my SHPE 1500 Salt Dogg this past Dec. new,I would never patronize Buyers again.Extremely poorly engineered product,bad dealer and factory support.Their salters I understand were better before they decided to outsource all their parts from China.I'm still waiting for my decoder ring to tell me what a F and F1 code means on my Chinese built controller.:dizzy:
  6. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

if you handle their spreaders with care and don't try to push them they work great. as soon as you do not have perfect conditions, the start giving you problems. I would say they are heavy home owner / very light commercial products.
  7. tuney443

I would agree with your assessment somewhat---I'll bet if you use their spreaders in China to spread rice,they would work great.;)
  8. buckwheat_la

there is a entire thread on the controller mistake, the important part is that a buyers rep is on here most of the time, and that they have admitted their mistake, and are trying to rectify the situation, a lot of dealers would be deny, deny, DENY!!!, then the would be trying to charge you to fix it too.
  9. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I run two spreaders...TSS06 and the TGSUVPROA....a lot guys seem to have difficulty with their gravity feed TGS06..not me...I like it better than an auger and I can control my salt usage better with the flo gate. I have the updated spinner and nothing flows out of the bottom. Just rests on the plate til I hit spread. The Pro Suv spreader is really nice for SMALL commercial lots and drives just like it says. You hold about 350 pounds of salt and it spreads it pretty good. It will blow through salt if it's not course enough. But it does great for WHAT IT'S INTENDED...too many guys on here complain and cry and moan that theirs are junk and they are trying to salt a 5 acre parking lot with it...it's not intended to do that. The biggest landscapers up here and in the state of Ohio for that matter run some Buyers tailgate units, either the TGS05 or the 06....So I wouldn't pay 2x the price of a suvpro for a magnum when they both hold the same amount of salt and both of their motors are under the plate which is known for corrosion....buyers motors run about 120? 77 for a cheapy...Magnums are substantially more and don't last any longer. Like anything else, if you take care of your equipment it will last and make you money if you beat the crap out of it and let salt sit in it then yes your going to have problems. Bottom line, take care of it, you'll be fine. Don't take care of it, don't complain.
  10. tuney443

Not quite---he's on here very infrequently,matter of fact, he was gone for app.13 days after his disclosure of an admitted controller issue---an ongoping issue for most of us with new units.Their replacement controller is the same POS Chinese as original.I however haven't even been offered that yet.From day one mine will not spread more than a 8' pattern,most of it on the driver's side in a concentrated area.I've been wasting tons of salt and yes I've tried everything,baffle adjustment,different settings,etc.This thing needs some redneck backyard engineering redoos by yours truly.I used to respect Buyer's quality--I have lots of their pintle hooks,balls,misc. hardware,etc.all made in Ohio,USA.When they outsourced to China,they did themselves a terrible disservice--all in the name of the mighty dollar for their bottom line.
  11. buckwheat_la

i was under the impression they had went back to the white faced controller, (which i understand is american made) but what do i know, as i stated before, i don't actually own any buyers products, i just plan on buying some of their products this year and next year
  12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2006 Model Buyers SUV spreader- works great for driveways and I've run sand and salt through it. It has definitely been taken care of as there is little to no wear on it at all, regardless its a great setup.
  13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

At least he's on here- he doesn't have to be on at all. I rarely see other reps on here at all.
  14. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I love my spreader and my wings!
  15. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Mine does just fine, no problems yet. Would buy another if I was in the market.
  16. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

shpe1500 that has worked out great.... had a controller issue (newer style) as well but buyers replaced it. The Salt Dogg Vbox spreaders are one of the best IMO
  17. tuney443

No they didn't.They now have an infatuation with Chinese garbage.
  18. procut

procut Senior Member

I don't have a lot of expirience with Buyers products, but like anything, I think it's kind of a get what you pay for type of thing. I think it's the fact that you can order them from so many mail order catalogs, J-Thomas, Northern Tool, ect. that de-values the the name some.

For what it's worth, I have heard a lot of good things about the Salt Dogg electric V-boxes.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  19. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i have a saltdog 1500 and it works great for me i have not had no major problem with it at all.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

I run an older buyers spreader once and a while .I had to buy a new motor's and a controler .I only use it 5 times a year.Stay away from them spend the money for a better one .I learned the hard way.