1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers ATV Spreader

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by jmbones, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Has anyone used a Buyers ATV spreader with rock salt or for deicing? Curious how it holds up and if it will even spread rock salt.

2. tjslider

tjslider Member

Used one for years.. Does great with fine, dry bagged salt. Does great with calcium pellets. If the salt starts to get clumpy it tends to clog up and not flow properly. I used it on my fourwheeler... a quick smack on the side of it and it would start to flow again.
    All in all, not a bad spreader for the price. I would say I have sent about 30-40 pallets of material through it.

TJ

3. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Thanks for the reply. I think the key thing is to keep moisture out. We used one on our township pickup truck and the motors would always jam up or stop and need to be kick started (literally).

4. tjslider

tjslider Member

LOL!! Been there... done that!

Had to borrow a few bags from a buddy one night.. (closer than running back to my place) all he had was the bagged road salt... SUCKED!! Too coarse.. literally had to walk next to it beating it to keep it flowing.

TJ

5. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Good to know, because that is what I use, 80lb bags of rock salt (very course). How do you think it would work with ashes from a coal stoker that burns rice coal?

6. tjslider

tjslider Member

I bet it would do ok...
    I still have the spreader.. only as a backup dire emergency plan... but I took off the shut-off plate and cut out the bottom of the hopper... now if I have to use the road salt it flows better.