1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers as a company...

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by OrganicsL&L, Feb 24, 2014.

1. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to drop a note here to let you all know about my experience with Buyers/Snowdogg/Scott Mooreman.

I have a TE80 which I was very happy with up until this season(its 3rd but 2nd full season of use). Back in November, I drained all of the fluid and checked the valves etc. It worked great for the first storm, and then started slowing down. It was incredibly cold, so the first thought was maybe water in the fluid, so I changed that again and no difference. I talked with my dealer and they weren't too sure. I pulled the SA valve, and it was full of crap, so I cleaned it. Then I pulled the screen on the pump in the resevoir and that was a disaster. So I cleaned that and put everything back together. Worked great for 3/4 of a storm and started acting up again. My dealer who is over an hour away didn't seem to have a clue, so they gave me a direct phone # to Buyers. They guys I spoke with there told me it was the lift ram and the packing was breaking down inside and that there was a TSB. So I ordered a new one put it on and everything has been great on that. Then my electrical connector on the plow side was malfunctioning and I reached out to Scott here on PS and he knew exactly what it was and sent me a new one because the original design had had a few issues, no charge and a 5 minute fix later, that problem was taken care of.

Now the big issue hits....we have been pounded with snow this year and going out 2-3 times per week almost all winter. All of a sudden my plow can't angle left. I get out and sure enough the moldboard is cracked. I take some pics and send them in to Scott. He tells me to bring it to my dealer and have them take a look at it. 2 minor snow events >2" each later and the plow held up enough to scrape my essential accounts. Get it to the dealer on Friday, and today they let me know that buyers is sending out a new moldboard, again because the original had some issues and they redesigned it to be stronger. No charge.

While these issues have been annoying and the last one potentially catastrophic to my business, I feel very good about my decision to buy a Snowdogg because of the support that both my dealer and more importantly Buyers has provided me.

If you are thinking of a Snowdogg but aren't sure because it isn't a Fisher/Western/Boss/Meyers, I would tell you not to hesitate. Not because it won't ever have a problem, but because when it does, hopefully your dealer and definitely because Buyers will be there to make it right if the problem was on their end.
  2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I agree....
    Never having owned another brand plow, I chose the Dogg solely for the price point. (myself being a startup business)

I bought my second Dogg because of the quality of the product and the service after the sale.

I think ALL manufacturers have issues and qc problems, the main thing is how the dealers and customer support staff handle the issues.

The few problems I had were either handled by my dealer or with the advice of Scott M. Any questions I had were answered promptly and professionally.
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Nice to know in case (when) I run into problems.
  4. Grizzleyadam

Grizzleyadam Junior Member

I now have a full season under the belt of our Snowdogg Vx-plow. 2 issues with a total of 20 minutes down time, 1 other issue covered by warranty with no down time, just a trip to dealer. Non of the issues stopped me from plowing or finishing my jobs. Saved 2k over the same Boss plow. NO BRAINER. Purchasing our 2nd truck and plow this spring. Go SnowDogg. Thank you also Scott M.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. mud

mud Senior Member

Your experience mirrors mine. The center hinge on the passenger side wing of my VXF 85 broke at the bottom joint I finished the storm like that then went to my dealer. No parts in stock at the dealer or the distributor. They told my dealer to rob the parts from a new plow he had in stock and replaced both the left side wing that was damaged and the right side wing as well. I had my plow back in under 48 hours.

I was so impressed with that level of service I ordered a vxf 95 the next week to replace the unimount on my other truck the next week.
  6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I'll take reliability over a plow that's broken like 10 times in a couple seasons. Good for buyers for taking care of you but that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement to me. I have 6 fishers-1 backup and one made into a skid steer plow, 4 on trucks. Oldest one @ a 2000 and newest this year. Plow issues so far- 1 broken hose. We've had about 60 inches of snow. I'm not bashing snow dogg but I'd rather not know how fishers warranty dept is because they rarely break. We service them annually- fluid, filter, grease etc. I bought a new salt dogg with multiple issues that they took care of immediately but I would have preferred something that didn't let me down in the first place.

I get that everything breaks and we have been lucky this year with that- no doubt. In this business durability and reliability are so important. I don't want to save a few bucks just to give that up even if they are great about fixing them.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  7. OrganicsL&L

from Maine

I agree and I did take a chance on a newer plow model. I think one of the key takeaways here is that they are always improving the newer equipment. They are putting the new parts on my plow so I will now have the better parts on my plow. Anyone have a new Snowdogg with any issues? BTW a buddy's new fisher has been back to the dealer 4 times this season with electrical issues. So they all have their problems.
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Zero issues so far. With anything breaking or needing to go to the dealer.

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

I'll jump in here.Even though I don't own a Snow Dogg but will be buying one for the new Tundra coming soon a new VMD. A plow that no other outfit who builds/ Designs plows for a 1/2 ton. They all only offer a itty bitty straight blade which is stupid .So theres the first Big Positive for me also In all the time I have been on this site Very rarely do you SEE any of the other manufactures come in on here to help whom ever has an issue unless they are on there bashing on the company which we all knows goes on.

Lastley KUDOS To Scott and SnowDogg for all of there effort to correct the issue at hand on any of there products unlike some of the others who push it ASIDE IN A CORNER and wait to see if anyone complains.....Just my 2 Cents......Nice job Scott and Buyers Thumbs Upussmileyflag
  10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Every plow has problems. There's a thread about boss frames snapping too
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm with nepatsfan. The majority of my plow breakdowns this year are a result of age. As in some are 9+ seasons old. I had to replace my motor and pump, it was the original from Jan '05.

But anyways............I guess they have a decent warranty department. But warranties do fix my plow at 3 AM in the middle of a storm and my customers could care less about the warranty if their lots aren't plowed.
  13. OrganicsL&L

from Maine

Absolutely, and if I was left stranded, I may not be as happy. But, the other point here is that they have made improvements since then and are always working to improve their product. Maybe somebody with a plow that is newer could chime in.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Crap, forgot a very, very important word.

15. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I'm glad it's working out for you, I just prefer not to be the R and D for them. I seriously contemplated buying one of their V plows(with the big flares) at the beginning of the year. I ended up buying a fisher XV2 strictly to keep them all the same. I stock parts and keep a backup at the shop so I kind of need to do the same brand and if I were to switch I would have to be ready to make a transition to all one brand. I will say, after a few issues with my salt dogg right out of the box, it has been great for us all year. The first two trips out were less than memorable with it but it's been good since. The list of broken welds and such on plows under 5 years old makes me think twice about them but I know first hand they will warranty their stuff without issue.

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Well broken welds could be from abuse as well and NOT the manufactures fault.I know someone who did not own a snowdogg and yes the welds broke jyst after one use .Wont mention name But they where Red? The other reason you bought a Fisher is all you east guys run fisher...hahaha..
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ A weld shouldn't crack.
    Cracks are the most severe of all weld defects and are unacceptable in most circumstances.

Welds may fail due to over-load, underdesign, or fatigue. The cracking is the result of solidification, cooling, and the stresses that develop due to weld shrinkage.
    Weld cracking occurs close to the time of fabrication. Hot cracks are those that occur at elevated temperatures and are usu-ally solidification related. Cold cracks are those that occur after the weld metal has cooled to room temperature and may be hydrogen related. Neither is the result of service loads