1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyers 80# vibrator popping fuses?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fortydegnorth, Jan 14, 2009.

1. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I just purchased and installed a Buyers 80# vibrator on a snow-ex tailgate spreader. I used the "kit" that comes with a switch and harness. I have the ground side of the harness connected directly to the battery ground and the hot side of the harness is connected directly to the positive side of the battery. I then cut the hot side and ran two wires into the cab to the provided switch. On the hot side going to the switch I installed the inline 6 amp fuse. I can run the vibrator for about 15 seconds before it pops the fuse. I can also cycle the switch on and off in 3-5 second intervals and that will pop the fuse also. All the wiring looks good to me and I believe it has a good ground considering its going straight to the battery. Any ideas? Does it make a difference if the fuse is before or after the switch?

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

you sure it only needs a 6amp fuse? my CB radio take a 15 amp fuse. I cant see somthing that big only drawing 6 amps

3. fortydegnorth

Its the fuse that came with it. Seems small but I just went with what was in it. I'm trying to get through with Buyers tech department, when I do I will ask them that first.

4. fortydegnorth

I just checked Karrier vibrators website and there kit also comes with a 6 amp inline fuse. Someone posted recently the same exact problem I am having and he had a 25 amp fuse that kept blowing so he went to a 30 amp and said it worked. I can't see putting a 30 amp fuse in place of a 6 amp. Something has to be wrong with the motor or wiring, I just don't know what. Buyers hasn't called me back yet, thats a suprise!

5. fortydegnorth

Finally got through to Buyers and was told to put a 15 amp fuse in and could even go up to 20 amps. I also talked to Karrier and he said the motor should only draw about 2 amps and the plug in the harness can't handle 20-30 amps. I believe Karrier and really don't want to melt the wiring on the Buyers. I think I will try the 15 amp and if it doesn't work without any problems I'm sending the POS back and getting a Karrier. I just don't understand why they would send it with a 6 amp fuse if it requires at least a 15 amp to run it! If you plan to buy a vibrator kit save yourself the trouble and spend a few extra bucks for a Karrier. Karrier answered there phone right away and helped me all the information I needed. Buyers never called back and I eventually called them back before getting any information. Buyers answer was, "I don't know why they would ship it that way, it should have a bigger fuse". Thats all he said, waste of oxygen!!!

6. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

30 amp

It doesnt matter what the motor pulls, your going from your bed to the engine back to the cab, 15amp will blow every time, had the same probleem. Switched to the 30 amp and i can run mine as long as i need to, and the wires do not get warm.

7. fortydegnorth

I don't deny it may need a bigger fuse, but why would Buyers engineer and package it with a 6 amp? There tech guy just casually told me to up the fuse. Maybe he should tell the designers to up the fuse so everyone buying one doesn't have to get pissed and buy about 15 fuses just so they can finish a salting job. I have 2 v-boxes from buyers and have had very good success with them so I can't knock the company it just seems some companies miss the fine details that can ruin a reputation.