1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyer spreader wont throw salt

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jfayne123, Jan 8, 2011.

1. jfayne123

jfayne123 Junior Member

I have a Buyers Pro tailgate spreader. It came with my truck, but did not have a motor. I replaced the motor, but now it doesn't want to throw salt. You can shake it and it will work, but who wants to keep getting out and shaking their spreader. Any ideas?
  2. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Is it getting jambed up or is it a motor / electrical issue? I know with mine occasionally it will get stuck after traveling between lots. I get out kick it and spin the auger and it's good to go. It usaully kicks out the breaker when this happens as well. If it is a motor issue I would triple check that you have a good ground, the right size wires (and good connections), and that it is aligned right, meaning the frame is not bent.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Put a viberator on it, and then you don't have to get out of the truck, you just push a momentary switch, and continue on.
  4. If the motor/auger/spinner is turning its not an issue with the motor or electrical....its probably bridged/jammed material. Make sure you are using DRY bagged rock salt only and dont drive around with material in the hopper when not in use.
  5. jfayne123

jfayne123 Junior Member

Ever so often the breaker kicks as well. I can move my hot cable, and it will come back on. I have cleaned and tightened it, and it helped, but ever so often the breaker will still kick. Although, I dont know if that is conected to it not throwing out salt when it is spinning. From what I have read, it seems like you have to have the right size of salt for this spreader.
  6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

sounds like bad connection at the motor or the motor is junk