1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buyer Salt Spreader - Ok or are thay junk

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by anolke, Dec 17, 2008.

1. anolke

anolke Junior Member

I am just looking for a ok salt spreader that will not see alot of use but might run 100 bags a year though it I have found a buyers 800 lbs Capacity Tailgate Spreader-Low Profile for like $900 is this an ok spreader?
  2. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Junk, my friend had a buyers spreader that hooked to his trailer hitch and was absolute junk after a few storms
  3. mkatrucking

mkatrucking Junior Member
    from Iowa

I have had good luck with ours. Put around 1500 bags thru it last year. Probably 300 this year. Just make sure it is installed correctly
  4. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

they are great as long as you only run bagged straight salt. don't try to run wet bulk like magic or sand salt mix.
  5. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Works great for me.... had the motor bind a time or two but I've heard the same complaint on alot of the hitch mount spreaders. You just have to load the salt on site when your ready to spread. The other benefit is replacement parts are ALOT cheaper than those for the westerns / snowex. Probably half the price.
  6. KustomKare

KustomKare Junior Member

i have had my buyers tailgate spreader for 8 years and have only replaced the motor once. imo not a bad spreader. Keep in mind my spreader rests on my bumper and not the hitch mount. the hitch mount creates too much play when it is full.
  7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

For the amount of use your suggesting, I really think that it would be fine for you, as opposed to spending a lot for a more elaborate unit. I have a Buyers hopper spreader where the motor lasted for 11 years, and it moved a hell of a lot of material. Unusual for one to last that long. My dealer couldn't even believe it. I will take a self contained motor any day over any other that is fully exposed, like the old Meyer ones that I ran before that one, those motors would last 2-3 years at best. Running dry material is essential as others already mentioned. I did some mods on mine to drop the salt faster, because it was way too slow at first, but no big deal. I could run sand through it , as long as it was dry...but I would put a napkin or gas station paper towel in the bottom near the auger, just to keep it from running out before I got started...not too much paper though, just enough to keep it from leaking. Once I started, it would just spit out the paper...once you start you can't stop to long for traffic, or waiting for someone to move, because it will leak out like an hour glass.
  8. KustomKare

KustomKare Junior Member

i have the one coldcoffee is talking about my motor is exposed
  9. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I run one, have had it for 3 years. Up until this year I've only run bags- about 30 tons/ year, through it. This year I added a vibrator, and running bulk magic salt through it w/ no problems. I leave the salt in it overnight with no problems. I can get parts for it through several local vendors, so far, knock on wood, I've only replaced the in-cab controller due to a manufacturing defect (a screw that held the outer casing together was touching the circuit board and shorting it out).
  10. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I installed the hitch mount and use a couple good ratchet straps and the thing don't budge. I don't load it until Im on site though so it's not bein driven around with the added weight.
  11. rickbays

rickbays Member

Ive got one and have had it for at least 6 years. The 1st year I ran 5 ton. I only used 2 ton the last couple years. This year its seen 2.5 tons already. I never leave salt in it over night. I spray it out after every day used also. The only thing ive had trouble with is it binds once in awhile. I go out and spin it by foot a time or two. Works fine. I love having the motor out of the elements.
  12. anolke

anolke Junior Member

Thanks guys it sounds like every body likes them an less you just happen to get a bad one I think I am going to get it after x-mas and hope my wife will not kill me.
  13. grayarea

grayarea Junior Member
    from missori

I just bought a new sno way spreader and it was $900
  14. anolke

anolke Junior Member

Dear grayarea where did you get it from and do thay have any more.