1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buy VTS tracks???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ford6.9, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I've talked to a few guys on here about the vts tracks and I think I'm going to pull the trigger this spring on them. Does anyone know where I can find them to fit a bobcat S250? New is out of the question, but I can't seem to find used ones that fit an S250.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

it seems that the s250 and the 300 run a special size with and offset sprocket. i have been keeping an eye out too!

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Try the auction sites. Machinery trader, rock and dirt, auction time,etc. You should be able to find a set on one of those. There are lots of sites out there but be careful to make sure what you are buying. Maybe ask your local bobcat dealer, they may be able to point you in the right direction. It may be a good move on your part to get a serial number or model number to make sure you buy the right set for your machine. Just my .02

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just have to keep your eye out there is a set for sale here on CL. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/bar/2831001103.html They look pretty clean but priced a little high. Yes the Bobcat takes a different offset so they might not be as prevalent. There is a guy on ebay that has a TON and he offers new tracks with them

5. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Those look to be in good shape, but like he said the price is a little high. I bought a new system for around $9500.
    Check these guys out http://www.mmmachine.com/default.htm. Make sure to get the serial off both undercarriages, then call Loegering and have them check the numbers to see if they will fit your machine.

6. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

7. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Are these tracks really worth the money?? I've got a Cat 232B and was worried since it's not a larger machine the tracks would bog it down......

8. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I thought someone should have flagged him for the $20,000 comment. Those have the old style track that doesn't ride so great compared to the newer style. It seems like there are a fair amount in the $4000-5000 price range, I missed out on a set for $2500 this fall, still cranky about that.

Best thing is to get the serial numbers and call Loegering as was said, they are usually pretty helpful with that. They do rob some power but on the bigger/higher powered machines I don't think it's noticeable.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I'll buy a set for the new 272 I've been contemplating. They do slow the machine down, looks like on your machine you'd loose 1mph and increase the weight 2532lbs to 8853lbs. Ground pressure would be 4.62psi and increase width to 73"

10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Is there a way to tell if its the new style or older one? Man I would be kicking myself too if I passed up a set for $2500.

11. Mid-Ohio Scaper

I think the set up you're talking about would look like this?
    What I'm wondering is why not just buy the track machine? Are the VTS better than CAT factory?

images.jpg

12. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

The picture Mid-Ohio posted shows the newer track pattern. Yeah I dropped the ball on that $2500 set, should have gotten a hold of them right away.

Because the VTS is way cheaper usually, take them off for plowing and if you get some jobs where you don't need tracks you save wear and tear on the tracks. From what I've seen and experienced, the VTS out performs a factory track machine(CTL in any brand)in soft conditions and I think the VTS rides way better. A track machine also can't come close to producing what a regular skid with special snow tires can do but if you can get paid by the hour it doesn't matter...

13. Mid-Ohio Scaper

What might a new set run?

14. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I haven't priced a new set lately but think it's still $9,000-12,000ish? I know some guys have gotten sets off IronPlanet for $6,000ish. Just have to check under a lot of rocks...:)

15. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Because the VTS is way cheaper usually, take them off for plowing and if you get some jobs where you don't need tracks you save wear and tear on the tracks. From what I've seen and experienced, the VTS out performs a factory track machine(CTL in any brand)in soft conditions and I think the VTS rides way better. A track machine also can't come close to producing what a regular skid with special snow tires can do but if you can get paid by the hour it doesn't matter...[/QUOTE]

Not all true, they are cheaper, you can pull them off for plowing, they Don't outperform a factory Cat undercarriage but do ride better then some others, tires are way cheaper to burn off pushing snow than tracks

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  16. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

17. Mid-Ohio Scaper

18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

19. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Not all true, they are cheaper, you can pull them off for plowing, they Don't outperform a factory Cat undercarriage but do ride better then some others, tires are way cheaper to burn off pushing snow than tracks[/QUOTE]

The reason I say the VTS(on any brand) out performs a CTL(again any brand) is the VTS seems to 'ride up' in the soft conditions where the CTL seems to push in and in some cases get stuck. I know ride is somewhat subjective but think the VTS rides as close as possible to the MTL/ASV style machines.

20. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I know what you're saying about the "ride up" or "climb" they have more of a face, they don't wrap tight around a front idler like on a regular undercarriage