1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buy old? or buy Newer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by A.K_Donaldson, Jul 5, 2010.

1. A.K_Donaldson

A.K_Donaldson Junior Member

What makes more sense to you guys, buying and older truck say 98,99,or2000 and making all the repairs ie new engine or transmission all brakes tires ball joints what ever else needs done or buying newer 2001 and up. For example I would only be buying a 98 99 or 2000 to 2004 if it were under 130000kms/miles. Trying to find a more cost effective way to get into the biz then buying brand new because that i just cant afford. I will have my own mechanic for the stuff I cant fix on my own. I think the majority of you will say buy newer but sometimes that just aint possible. Thanks for replys Andrew .K
  2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

My personal opinion is to buy 2001+ new body style trucks - simply for the fact that parts (engine and body) for those trucks are more accessible and less expensive because there are more of them on the road. There are good deals to be had - I got an off-lease 2005 RCLB 2500HD with the 8.1L for $7500, with 128,000 miles last summer.
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The newer the better if u are not able to fix urself!!
  4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Really depends on what you want to spend. I got my Dodge for $9K and its a great truck with 108K. Front end is tighter than my 07 Toyota was at 74K.
    But if you only want to spend 4-5K than you'll probably be looking at an older model truck. That's not a bad option if you have the time and ability to repair it yourself.
  5. A.K_Donaldson

A.K_Donaldson Junior Member

Thanks guys

Ya i think what i will do is buy a newer style truck for my light haulage work on weekends and snowplowing in the winter. Then later on if I had the need for sanding salting buy an older truck one that I can wrench on during the summer and get ready. I have a stock car racing back ground so I have no problem with mechanic work.