1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buy new front springs in Canada?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mopard, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

hey guys,
    I'm looking for new front springs to level out (approx. 2" lift) my '06 Dodge Ram CTD. Anyone know where I can buy springs in Canada? My truck already came with the biggest springs supplied by Dodge but they have built this truck with a 2" or 3" front rake. I just want to level out the truck and maintain the FGAWR.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you need the weight carrying ability. Go to your dealer and order some
    #47-#48 springs.
    They will say they don't fit but they will. They will give you a little added height and more weight carrying capability.

Do not use aftermarket springs or cargo coils as they are not strong enough.
    Or may want to look into coil spacers.
    If you just want to level your truck go with the coil spacers.

If you do have the stiffest coils already( Cheek # in your springs to see) then go with the spacers and maybe a set of timbrens too
    Here is the part numbers
    #47 - #52039047
    #48 - #52039048
    you can get them in 5 to 7 days if needed from your dealer.
    Also there is a thread Here in the dodge section it's http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=11316
    it will show you how to change out your springs and it might answer some of your Qs too.

OR just put some weight in the back LOL:waving:
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  3. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

thanks snofarmer, I asked the same question at LTS and got very similar answer :)
    my spring tag says 984AA, I need to find info to compare these with the 047,048 combo. My springs handle the weight no prob I would just like to level out the factory rake in the truck.
    yep, I've read a ton on "to ballast or not..." and I agree 100%, though my 04 Hemi was perfect without any... believe it or not :nod: . Great plow truck but for the mileage. I have about 250 lbs. in this truck now but should have a bit more (another 250 maybe, to start). Tough when the truck has many uses and you must take it back out each time. It handles perfect right now, just want to level it out some, even when totally empty. Gain a little more clearance up front. Why did Dodge put such a rake in a plow prepped truck I don't know.
    I'll look into these springs to see how they can help. I'm told I will only gain a 1/2" in ride height though, if the 06 is the same as the 04/05. My truck has many new front-end parts, especially the Laramie, don't know about the suspension... yet. I assumed they were the same in that respect. Have you heard of 984AA springs? and the ratings?
    Spacers are looking more like what I need... now what and where. The only thing I've seen around here is Timbrens for mainly all the 1500 1/2 tons running around... and they still nose bounce off the ground, arse in the air. :nod: just a little factual humor.
    great site btw!
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's not that they built in the rake intentionally- it's because that CTD engine is a heavy mother and sags the heaviest springs DC makes! ALL diesel Rams have that nose low attitude. I think coil spacers are the best bet- about $150. They make eurothane ones and all steel ones. You'll have a few things to consider for change once you add them- longer front shocks, brake lines, etc. Same if you change to a longer spring too.

jc whitney sells spacers. Search the web for them- they'll turn up. They were very popular for 94+rams. I kinda like the rear high "hot rod" stance myself. Brings me back to the days where you added an xtra leaf or two and jacked the rear up in the process.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Here is a link to a page with the specs for the springs.

The way the new front ends are (body style) I think you are going to have a hard time with the new lower hood and cowl. (changing the rake) I think most of your problem could just be how the truck looks. I don't really like the slope of the new hoods ether but they do have better aerodynamics then the older ones.
    I installed the #46/#47 combo on my 2500 and gained 2" of lift. I also have timbrens on the front and rear.( yes, yes, I know, but I had to see what all the hype was about. lol) With the plow off and no weight in the back, there is about 2" between the timbren and the axle in front and about 1" Clarence in back. so the only time they come into play is when the truck is loaded down then they help. But for your truck I think the spacers is what you want as you should already have the stiff springs on your truck.

The main reason I got the timbrens was to elevate the see-saw. you know when you lower your plow and the front goes up and the rear goes down from the ballast weight, well, l installed the timbrens in the rear they helped to stop the see-saw action. With the plow on and about #800 to #1000 lb in back and the plow raised the timbrens in front and rear are just touching, I admit I like them there I said it, are they necessary no. There nice to have so there you have it, even a old plow jockey like me can still learn new tricks..lol:waving:
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  6. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

I have a buddy that put some DAYSTAR poly 2" spacers in his 2003 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Diesel along with a set of Timbrens for the plow and it leveled it out nicely.

Not sure if they make them for the new model years yet or not. He gave $170 american dollars for them and we installed them in a couple of hours. He bought them at: www.4wheelparts.com. He has a 9' BOSS V-Blade

Hope this helps a little