1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buy A Plow Or Not?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Cfdff85, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

:help: :help: On Monday I am Picking up my new 2006 Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 ext cab short bed. I looked around and there are some plows recommenced for my truck. But EVERYONE and their mother is saying don't buy a plow it ruins your truck, transmission rear end frame you name it. I decided to come to your guys and ask should i get a plow or not? any tips that i can do so that i get ZERO damage to any part of the vehicle? Also anyone make a decision like this recently? Regret it or love it?:help: :help:
  2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

A 1/2 ton isn't a work truck. It's simply not made to plow snow. (Although a bunch of guys here plow successfuly with them) Anyhow, obviously if you attach a 700 lb blade of steel to the front of your truck to push around it's going to strain the truck more than if you didn't. So to expect "ZERO" damage is foolish. You just have to be careful If you're just going to plow your own driveway you should be OK... but obviously, the more snow you push the greater the potential for damage. Pretty much the answer lies halfway between what you want us to tell you and what your friends have told you..... Good luck
  3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Oh, and if your truck doesn't have a Plow Package- which i don't believe come on 1/2 tons- a plow will void the manufacturers warranty.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

kiss the warranty good by. i hear it all the time dont plow with a 1/2 ton. what about all the blazers, bronco and jeeps that are used to plowing last yr i saw a cad. escalade with a plow on the front just take it easy . since your warranty is voided when you put the plow on the truck

5. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

I'm in the same boat on this. I have an '04 Chevy 1500 4x4 (6cyl). I use it for my lawn service. This season I am seriously considering plowing, and know I need to upgrade my vehicle. The truck dealer said if I'm plowing 6 or 8 properties the V8 1/2 ton would be fine. He says add the plow prep package & tow package. He never said anything about voiding the warranty. He said if I'm plowing more props or "commercial" I should definately go with the 3/4 ton. It's the fuel costs that worry me. 12 MPG vs 16-18. I average 30 miles a day on my mowing routes, not to mention all the other driveing I do around the state for personal use. Currently my truck is used for business/personal.

So i'm trying to figure this plowing thing out too. Thanks for the feedback!

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i plow with a f150 and have yet to have any problems with the truck. < knock on wood >
    i honestly would NOT recommend using a 1500 for plowing though. even though they can do the job and keep up with the larger trucks they are just not ment for it.

if you really want to plow buy a bigger truck .
  7. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

Hey cfd i was just in your situation. i start my buisness two months ago and i also have a 1/2 ton 2006 chevy w/ the 5.3 I bought a boss 7.6 standard duty plow. I have been kicking around and this forum for a month asking about a half ton truck and i am getting alot of the same answers you will they all tell you get a 3/4 ton however i could not afford it so im going to work with what i have. some tips that were offered up to me is.....

1) when plowing use good judgment realize that you have a half ton truck and dont beat the heck out of it.

2) to help with the 700LBS of steel hanging off the front you can jack the torsion bars up a little and also HIGHLY RECOMENED: TIMBRENS IN THE FRONT END

My thinking is this if a toyota of a jeef or even a suzuki side kick can plow snow my 1/2 ton chevy can do it too
    as far as warranty goes i dont know what to tell you unless you take the plow mount off when there is something wrong that you think is related to plowing
    you could bribe your services advisor lol
  8. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

p.s a brand new truck and a brand new plow i dont think you will see much in the way of problems any time soon just think about the repair costs ball joints allignment tires etc.....
    compared to forking out the god knows how much for a three quarter ton truck.
    I think you would be fine finacially in the long run.
  9. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Besides the eternal "what's better" argument of Ford vs Chevy, an F150 & 1500 are still 1/2 tons. So why not recommend a 1500 for plowing?

10. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

it depends on what you can afford to operate honestly.some can't afford the added insurance on a 3/4 ton along with the added fuel cost.as long as your treat your 1/2 ton as a 1/2 ton you'll be fine.
  11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If you can't afford to get a new 3/4 ton...... GET A USED ONE!!!! I bought my GMC with 16k and my Ford with 25k. Both still had the factory warranty when i bought them, so you can't really go wrong!!
  12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i've never bought a new 1/2 ton, but do they cost more (than 3/4)?? wouldn't think they would be much more than 10-20% higher. my advice if your dead set on a 1/2 ton chevy, go with a late 1970's model. and spend $400 and get some one ton front springs. you will have minimal ADDITIONAL(snow plow) wear on a truck like this.
  13. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

When I was looking at trucks, a used 1500 cost about $1,000-$3,000 more than a comparable 2500HD (comparable miles, interior package, condition).
  14. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Interesting..... are you sure you don't have that backwards?
  15. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

Yeah, in most cases I have found the 1500 to be more expensive (used with 10,000 to 30,000 miles). They are in higher demand for people that have to own a truck but don't actually tow or put it to work. The grocery getter truck owners I like to call them.
  16. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

and some of these same people are starting to swing towards 3/4 tons.

the big vehicle of choice this year for young people was the 3/4 extended cab why they need it i really don't know,maybe groceries are getting heavier?:rolleyes:
  17. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I watch S-10 new and old plowing, if they can do it a half ton sure can.
    as far as warranty goes it will not void it if you plow unless you go over axle.
    If a dealer tells you that then go to another dealer or go over there heads.
    The plow companys make plow just for half tons.
    If you hang a 8.5 V plow then of course your going to be over axle weight.
  18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont listen to anyone who says "dont plow with a 1500" or "get a bigger truck".

You can plow with trucks smaller than yours, one of my plow vehicles is a little Cherokee.

You need an auxillary transmission cooler, you also need to either crank up your torsion bars or buy timbrens to help with the added weight on the front. You WILL NOT destroy your truck IF you do not abuse it. Be careful how you drive, dont ram into things, dont slam between drive and reverse, etc. You need to do more preventative maintainance but that comes with any plow vehicle not just 1/2 tons. Change the transmission fluid once a year, differential and axle fluids, etc. You can plow alot more than just your own driveway if you go about it correctly and responsibly. I would not hesitate to do my entire 30+ driveway route with my Cherokee, my F-150 alredy handles it without a problem. I have plowed over 2 feet of snow with both my little trucks.

I would recommend a 7'6" plow that is on the lighter side such as the Fisher LD 7'6" or Blizzard 760 LD. DO NOT drive around with the plow on any longer than you need it; with todays mounting systems there is no need for the extra stress on the front end when you can remove the plow in seconds.

Your warrenty may not necessarily be void, talk to the dealer, I have seen chevy dealers sell brand new 1500 with plows on them. You may be able to get a waiver if you take it to a shop they use to get your plow installed. Remember, they still have to prove that a problem was caused directly by plowing or carrying the plow to deny you service under warrenty.
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  20. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

"Allot of MFGs are not even offering a plow package on 1/2 tons any more."

the dealer here has an F-150 with a plow prep package,the GMC dealer has a regular cab 1500 with a fisher plow as a deal for september.if they offer you the package theres nothing the plow or truck dealer can say to you.as said before,if they do seek another dealer

"For the little Price difference the 3/4 ton or larger truck is worth every penny."

i had a 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton,my 1/2 ton was cheaper to fuel up and insure and for the same year and mfg,my 3/4 was out of service more than my half ton.thats only my experience others will say different.

pick up any brochure from western,boss,fisher and they all sell you plows to be mounted on even 1/4 tons,if a half ton was never to be used for plowing these dealers would never advertise you can mount them on one.