1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

But it's been a mild winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boba, Feb 25, 2002.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

One more story on the mild winter. February 1-2 had two days of freezing rain. Sanded as necessary. Billed on February 15th. Two customers, on contract plowing, called and said---"since it's been a mild winter I don't think you should charge for sanding." Of course contract states sanding will be billed separately. Didn't argue, just told them I"ll delete the charge. Then in my book noted DROP next year.
    Just like others are encountering.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have one now that wont' pay the right amount becuase they said it was a miled winter we did have two storms in my area that reach the 4" mark they said we had none .I think that they are wrong.

3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

WHAT

your contract says to sand & you did (freezing rain) & now your not going to charge them. :confused: :confused: Charge them you did the work, & you can still drop them next year. ;)

boba: your never going to be rich that way, & yes it's OK to be nice but you said you'll be droping them anyway so charge them .

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto Ohio. Why did you bother buying sand, buying snow plow insurance, loading your spreader onto the truck, checking the weather & driving out to the site & spreading sand, as stipulated in the contract that was signed & agreed upon by the customer?

Cat320,
    A good idea for that situation is to print out the weather forecasts before & accumulation reports after winter weather events. Then when you have customers that forgot that storm on back on January 7, you can send them copies of the actual official weather.

5. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

But they never wrecked the car. They still bought insurance.

They signed for service and you serviced them. Charge for it.

If it was such a mild winter and they are a good customer they should be glad that you were still there and not leaving them alone to fend for themselves. Heck some went out of business and wouldn't have been there even if it got really bad.

Just my $.02 worth.

Bruce

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

BRL is correct about reminding customers about dates.

Had a phone call today from a customer who insists it did'nt snow on the 31s of January. I did'nt argue but just said I would check the records. I just checked the records from accuweather.com and it says 0.8 inches for that date. This explains why I salted and did not plow :D.

7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Print out forecasts

This year was the first I took the time to print out forecasts and it actually paid off. One of my larger customers complained that I was plowing when there was less than the required amount (2"). I sent him the forecast and also Emailed him a picture I took, as I do for every lot, of a wooden 1 foot ruler burried in the snow on the lot before I plowed it. Works every time.:D

8. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:mad: this burns me when people dont want to pay, if they are so conserned about the warm weather they should'nt have signed the agreement, its all about risk, that why we pay for car insurance may never need it but you have it. thses are the same people who would call,beep do what ever it takes to find you if they were'nt down to black top by 6 AM> hang in there guys,tony

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I guess I'm just lucky. I had one "seasonal". An out of state couple called and asked me to keep an 20 ft long area of their access road to their camp cleared so they could park their truck. Just push the snow back from the main road. I said "Oh, send me $100 and I'll take care of it for the winter". They sounded thrilled and I had a check two days later. It's between two other accounts and takes about two minutes. I think I've cleared it three times all winter. Haven't heard anything from them saying they think they paid too much. I look at it like - They're paying for access to their camp, whether it snows 1 or 100 times. They don't care, they just want to know that they'll have a place to park when they get here and that's worth $100 to them. I was talking to the wife about it this morning and the thing is, if it had snowed every day I'd have plowed every day and not expected any more money.

I bought heating oil the same way this year - 950 gallons in August for a set price. Now heating oil price went down, so I'd be paying .16/gal less if I had waited to buy it now. But I didn't and that's the gamble I took. I can't go back on the oil dealer now and want some of my money back.