1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Busting up hard salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have many bags of hard bagged salt and wondered if we waited till summer time and 80 degree weather could we break them up with a back hoe? We tried to smash it up a couple weeks ago and there was no way. It's older salt and compltely solid and I have quite a bit to break up.

If not I will use it for liquid but like I said I have a bunch.

2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Air chisel or back hoe works. It's a PITA you might be better off using it for liquid. You won't waste any fuel on it and you'll only have to handle it once.

3. Bossman 92

I kinda figured. I have quite a few tons to do so probably take longer than its worth.

4. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Break them open on the concrete or blacktop a Ned drive I've it

5. Bossman 92

I dont understand?

6. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Lay them flat.. Take your skidsteer and drive over them..

Or if you have a Small office at the shop put them in there and Heat the room with space heaters! I promise you it works for frozen salt lol...

7. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Sorry. Run over them with skid steer or whatever and break it up

8. Bossman 92

Even tho its older rock hard salt? And I have LOTS. As in more than 10 tons.

9. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Dude your SOL... Use it for ballest and cut your losses! I Used to keep A ton of old bags in the front quarter of my 2WD dump truck.. Helped when plowing empty.

Also Liquid CC Or Brine works for loosening it up and so does washer fluid i hear... But thats for bulk..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Find somebody makes Salt brine and sell it to them and buy your self new bags

11. bosman

bosman Senior Member

Open a bunch of bags on a solid surface (concrete or asphalt) and hit it with a Harley rake or soil conditioner, it should pulverize it.

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This makes the most sense to me.

13. Bossman 92

I actually bought them to make brine with for us to spray. Just have way more than I need.

14. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

A little off topic but how would/do you make your own brine if you don't mind me asking?

15. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

if you lay the out use the cutting edge on a loader and a little bit at a time push straight down to the edge closes to you and keep doing it, it will crush right up