1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Busting chunks in a Snowex 575

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dmontgomery, Feb 2, 2007.

1. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

has anyone ever modified a 575 to break up chunks of salt better??? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

yeah they call it a screen and a shovel

just kidding:dizzy:

3. dmontgomery

oh......never thought of that.......just kidding......

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

im guessin you bag??i just drop the bag a few times b4 i load my spreader like you would a bag of ice...for bulk screen and shovel

5. dmontgomery

yes I do that....I am sometimes ending up with a few chunk in the tub that will not crush and flowout.....THere are so many inventive and creative people here that I thought maybe someone had modified their system to solve this issue....

D

6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I use the 575 on some rigs and don't have that prob. It sounds like you have a storage problem with your salt or your supplier. If your getting chunks you have water in the bags or bad seal on the bag you need to store them under cover or in a dry location. You must have a older model because the newer mods have a screen. I have to tell my guys all the time to cover the load they keep on there trucks they get it when they have to dig out the chunks..

7. dmontgomery

actually with this pallet I have only had the problem with 3 bags......again it is not a big deal......accept that I would rather not have to get out of the truck to "unclog" the spreader due to these chunks......

My bags are kept inside on a pallet. I only load into the truck what I need for the event...The problem bags were the ones that have been sitting the longest.....I guess a screen would also solve the problem.....

Now my barn still has a gravel floor due to funds. I wonder if I stack the new pallet over a tarp that would help with ground moisture???........

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

If you only have a prob with this skid than its a older skid from last season that has been sitting around for some time in heat and cold. Fresh salt or this season salt wont have that prob. We run thru 10 skids each event so we can rotate stock quickly sounds like you dont use much salt and the supply's you get might have been around awhile. Its not your storage its the supply you get.....

9. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i would recommend a screen first off, i use to have the same problem with my buyers, would damn near stop the motor. The new boss breaks anything in its path. What is the feed system in it?? chain link??

10. dmontgomery

$100 for the screen.....

I am small time.....But have plans to get larger.....

It is a direct drive auger......on a hitch mount spreader

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I am curious why you would use 10 skids (appox. 490 bags of salt) each event rather than going to bulk? I prefer bags myself, but I am lucky to use 30-35.

12. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I am wondering if an a Charcoal (sp) grill screen would work for you. Or any screen off a grill for that matter. Check local hardwares for screens for open pit fire too. Just some thoughts. Hope that helps. 100.00 is to much for a screen imo.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  13. dmontgomery

good idea.....I was think about a piece of expanded metal...

14. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

just buy a piece of wire mesh from the hardware store and screw it down on there, will keep the big chunks out then.

15. dmontgomery

OK so I am at Home Depot.....and I am walking through the shelving isle......when I see 2 pieces of white wire shelving that are about 3' long just sitting there.... So I ask what they would cost and the guy says " I don't know why those are here, let me check...." so he calls someone who says "just give them, to him.... " :nod: ..... So now I have fashioned a screen with the shelving......we will see how it works later tonight.......the snow is falling......

maybe not perfect but free is worth a shot.....

D

16. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

How did it work out for you? I had some chunks last night that the screen save. Just busted them up on the screen.

17. FIREMEDIC2572

FIREMEDIC2572 Member

We store or salt outside and it sits outside where its bagged. We keep it covered and don't have a problem. We have had pallets over summer be fine. I would go to a new supplier, thats what we did. I am sick and tired of buying pallets of salt and ice melt that have torn bags, messed up pallets and crappy material.

18. dmontgomery

it actually worked great.... no jams......and the chunks that were caught, got tossed 30 ft in the air and shattered when they hit the pavement. ..I will post a pic when I get a chance...

I don't have a choice in suppliers......my cost would jump significantly....... It isn't like I am having problems with every bag.

D

19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

If this spreader has the rod that goes from top to bottom my friend took that rod out drilled a hole threw it down towards the bottom of the neck and put a little piece of all thread threw the hole put it all back together now that thing chops up clumps like a little blender.

RCGM
    Brad

20. dmontgomery

it doesn't, but that is how the Snoway spreaders are built...