1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Busted western pump.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by vintage steel, Oct 19, 2012.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I decided tonight was a good time to reinstall the plow on my Bronco. I bolted on the pump attached the wires, etc.
    hooked onto the plow and started to lift it. It came up about 2 inches there was a "CRACK!!!" and the plow dropped.
    The collar around the lift ram popped out of the pump housing, bringing most of the threads with it:dizzy: This doesn't look reparable to me.
    The pump is an older western with cable controls. Looks like this one:[​IMG]
    The ring that popped out is the big one on top of the cylinder housing.
    Is this a common problem? Ever heard of this? know how to fix it?
    Any input on this mishap would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, -R-
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the piston rod might have a bend to it im sure a machine shop could fix the threads
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So the threads came out of the housing causing the packing nut to fly out? Yea maybe machine shop orrrrrr look for a new housing
  4. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I ordered areplacement pump. I would, however, like to fix this one so I have a spare. Maybe I'll just keep it for parts.