1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Busted Truck Side Mount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theguynextdoor, Mar 4, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Yesterday I noticed that my left plow light was lower than the right, and my A-frame was hitting the driveway of the apartment lot that I do. So I take a look, and theres part of my truck side mount just hanging there. It broke off the frame where the hole for a bolt is. Luckily, the main part of the truck side was still good and holding it up. My mechanic is welding it up right now, should be done in a few hours for the snow tonight. So glad I found this mechanic, he sold me the plow, had a truck just like mine, does a great job, very reasonable price, and always gets my truck out in a few hours. Can't believe that broke...probably happened when I tried to move that pile of snow...turned out to be a block of ice...haha:gunsfiring:
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

yea a block of ice will do that to a mount.
  3. procut

procut Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to one of my uni-mounts, just welded it back on, no big deal. The funny thing was the guy who was driving it at the time swore he didn't hit anything. :dizzy:
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I keep tellin' ya guys: ya need to keep plenty of duct tape in your emergency tool box! But, noooooooo; nobody listens to Matt!!!:):waving:
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had the drivers side of my mount break right at the point it made the 90 degree up bend. I had to use a come along to pull it back to the truck then a bottle jack to bring it up. I cranked the amps up to 140 and used my biggest stick I had. It's gone 3 years and has not broke. I was pushing a huge mound of snow when it broke.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

forget the duct tape JB WELD

7. theguynextdoor

Well its fixed now, they did it for free. Looks like a pretty solid weld. I think it has been broken for a while. I used it yesterday with no problems, so far so good.
  8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Guynextdoor: got a question for ya. How do ya get a 7' 9" Western Uni mount???!!!:dizzy:
  9. ex-plower

ex-plower Junior Member
    from vermont

You don't have to hit anything to bust a mount or your frame up. All it takes is for a crack to start then just driving it down the road will do the rest. I was driving home from my 8-4 job that I had during the winter and slammed a frost heave that I knew was there but just wasn't paying attention too and ripped the bottom of my frame. We pulled the mount put the pieces back where they belonged, added some fishplate, and when I sold the truck it was still in one piece.
  10. theguynextdoor

HAHA...well the guys I bought It from (who is now my mechanic) had it on his ram 2500 and it was 10 ft long. He kept hittting things so he cut it...I don't know why that length but thats how it got that way.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's pretty crazy.