1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Busted Meyer A-frame at clevis mount!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jakegypsum, Feb 16, 2003.

1. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Bad time for the Meyer to let me down. There really wasn't much to clean up here in NJ today but I did have one account, a medical/doctors office, that needed to be cleaned up for patients. I got half way through clearing the 2-3 inches off the lot when snap, it happened. The clevis frame ears on the A-frame of the plow snapped off. The welds on one ear broke off completely and the ear on the other side ripped in half like a t-shirt being torn. Age could of been the culprit, plow is twenty years old, but it just seemed strange that it would happen in such little snow. Prolly the drag on the asphalt had something to do with it but speed was not an issue nor was there any striking of a curb or other object.
    I wound up getting Big Brother Western to finish the job and then had to come back later with a drywall boom truck to pick the plow up and bring it back to the shop. (Plow too heavy for me to pick up myself and put in truck. No room in bed anyhow.)
    Bottom line, it's a bad time for it to break with the larger second half of the storm getting ready to hit. I was able to get it back to the shop and repair. Took me about a 40 min's to weld up plus cutting and scabbing some scrap steel. Jake.

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

"Age could of been the culprit, plow is twenty years old, "

20 years old & it let you down ? I would think in did a great job for a Meyer to last that long.;) When I ran Meyer plows I checked the frames welds every week for cracks or damaged. Most of the time before a plow falls off there are little cracks.:waving:

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i'd say one failure like that in twenty years is pretty damn good.

the welds or steel were probably flawed for a while and just gave up at that time.

it's good practice to always inspect the plows for flaws, after an event, so you'll know of a potential problem before you're depending on the plows.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

No, it's just a mediocre design.

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Jake, Grab yourself a beer and be happy you've got 20yrs out of it and all that broke was the center. Usually take out one or both rams up here when guy's do that. On the bright side your good for another 20+ now with the reweld.

Jerre

6. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Yea, I guess saying that it let me down IS harsh plus the fact that it was only during a dusting snowfall. The little Meyer has been very good over the years. It outlasted several trucks. I normally glance over the plow after I pin it to the truck to see if there are any visable cracks or problem spots in general.
    I did examine the peices where the welds failed. Evedently, there were hairline cracks that eventually broke completely through. You can see where there is a fresh break through part of the weld but also there were some areas where it looks to have been cracked for a while.
    Reguardless, I ran it today for about 9 hours with no prob. I guess I could get maybe another 20 years out of it. Lol. Jake.