1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

busted bronco, what happen?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

im not really sure how this happens. the center carrier exploded. ring and pinion look ok, but the whole center carrier is junk. ive never seen this happen, so im not sure what would cause it, does any one else??

IMG_0759.JPG

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

parts that came out of it

IMG_0761.JPG

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

where the carrier should be

IMG_0763.JPG

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

this was not a fun day

IMG_0764.JPG

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

last one........:cry:

IMG_0766.JPG

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Ouch..........who was driving.....you or an employee. Explosions like that a lot of time cause by gear slamming. Drive to reverse and reverse to drive before full stops and heavy on the go (boom) pedal.

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

i was driving. did not even have the plow on it. its a 5 speed so theres no gear slamming. im the one who plows with this truck too. i was not even turning a corner when this happened . was driving about 20mph going strait. very confusing to me!!!

8. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Ouch... Is that the front or back? Only time I've seen that is from neutral drop to drive or seriously rough off/on roading. Time to do a solid axle swap on it :nod:

All_Clear

9. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I have seen this before. Usually with Dodges though. The bolt that holds the center pin in breaks and the center pin walks out. Letting the planetary gears fall off and take everything else with them. Usually the pin hits the housing and jams it up before letting it rotate around and around tearing it all up. Just curious how fast were you going when it let go?

10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I agree.

Look at it this way.... Now it's time for a Detroit Locker:cool:

11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Brian, it was a used Bronco right & you just bought it recently? I'm guessing it was driven pretty hard by previous owner or owners and it just happen to blow while you were in it. Sucks...hope you get her back up and running quick.

Buck

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

if you take a look at the last picture, the bolt is still there and in one piece. this one really confuses me how it broke?

13. KingDuramax

I see the bolt now. Wierd??

14. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

That exactly what happened to my 01 F-350 but it was my front axle. I bought a whole new axle, it was cheeper than replacing all the gears

15. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Well since it is your 8.8 rear that blew you already have a solid axle :dizzy:

You have a few choices here on repair. You could buy used gears & carier (around 120) and then purchase an install kit (60bucks) and set them up yourself if you can. OR buy new gears and used carrier and install kit and set up yourself, prolly 50 bucks more.

Or go to the junkyard and make sure to get the latter rearend with tone ring for your ABS. Since it is an 8.8 you should be able to get one used cheap, under 200 bucks. Then you have to mount up leaf springs, shock and brake lines.

With my experiance i would say the carrier was cracked and the leverage that is exerted on the pin pushed the carrier apart and then wedged it into the housing and busted alot of ****.

16. Midwest BuildIt Inc

well i showed it to my race car chassis guy and he says that there are two different 8.8 carriers, and mine was the smaller weaker of the two. his suggestion was a detroit locker if i planned on running the truck for a while. i plan on lifting it so thats what im gonna do. it should be up and running this week if i have the time. theres no snow in the forcast so i have some time. ill take some more pics of the install if any one wants to see it....

17. KingDuramax

Glad to hear it is going back together and hopefully it wont snow while its down.

18. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

When I got my k5 years ago the carrier exploded like that .It turned out that the ring gear chipped a couple of teeth and over time more chips broke and caused the damage like you have.

19. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

If the detroit locker is a spool then F that. You will slide alot when accellin in the winter and slide on any camber situation when applying the throttle and plowing. Also the rear tires will bark on pavement when turning corners on bare pavement. I have to be easy around just damp corners or the back end slides a little.

I am running a lunch box locker which just replaces the spider gears. I use the Lok right which ratchets around corners to reduce stress and not squel the tires. But other than that it is locked all the time. Kinda of annyoin in the winter but will push through deep snow better than most people can get through

20. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I could be wrong here, but I think that could also have happened from improper towing or trying to push start the vehicle. Not that you did it, but the previous owner. Is that the pinion shaft sticking out of the cover and is it twisted in half?