1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1olddogtwo, Jan 27, 2015.

1. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

where's the feet(s) of snow ?

Can't wait to hear the weather guys explain the millions wasted in NYC.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

I would love to see it myself -thing is at least here in CT they never will. The God damn NWS is still forcasting these huge totals for my area of the state. Weather guessers on TV have at least started to scale back the totals with little to no explanation. I will be lucky to get 1/2 of what was predicted (which I'm fine with BTW). The hype machine has been rolling hard nationwide over this storm for 2+ days;now it's busted for a lot of areas with little to no accountability. As stated-all the hype has cost some municipality's 10's-100's of thousands of $. I understand its Mother Nature and things can change in hours but don't go on TV /radio with the upmost certainty scaring the bejesus out of people then offer up little to no explanation when you are wrong.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No explanation?

Last night on the telly our local NTAC said the models were moving it further east.

I should have said it yesterday, I had a feeling it was hype. Just the way this year has gone for everybody.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

3 days ago, the clipper what was forecasted for chicago (2 to 4) completely missed us (some salted) it stayed farther west/south before heading east. Its speed also sped up. NWS/media stayed the cousre talking about the blizzard. The clipper was the fuel for the Northeaster. When the two systems did meet up, they still based their theory before the clipper shifted. Once they combined, it was 75-100miles to the east of where it was forecasted. They continued to hype the storm. I couldnt believe they still talked and convinced the public.

I get it considering how they mishandled Sandy on not warning people enough but here they had info.

My comments are for NYC, i did agreed with the Boston and farther North areas.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  7. DavCut

DavCut Member

I figure I'm to blame because I got all ready. If I hadn't checked everything out and made sure I was ready to go we would have gotten buried!
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I think your government was just moving something around in NYC last night. It's the only plausible explanation..."put Anderson Cooper on a rooftop and another guy on the beach and distract the citizens for a second."
  9. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

As of this morning's Today Show, Al Roker said that part of the forecasting screw up was due to the NWS upgrading their equipment and software. He stated that over the past few years, we have the "American model" and "European model" methods for forecasting. For the last few years, the European model has been more accurate than ours and several forecasters have come to "discount/not believe" the American model to put together their forecasts. Well, since the upgrade just happened, our forecasters were still relying more heavily on the European model even though earlier this week, the American model was indicating a shift in the storm. Thus, they went with the "used to be more accurate" European model for this storm. I'm guessing that if this is indeed the case, we can look forward to more botched forecasts until our meteorologists start to believe more heavily on what our model says.
  10. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

the only people who were surprised by Sandy were people who weren't paying any attention... at least those who believe everything the talking zombies on the big 3 stations say.
  11. Grantski

Grantski Member
    from 06475

honestly didnt think id even be able to get out of my driveaway...2-3 foot drifts covering 50-60 feet of it....this is my side door almost a 4 foot drift...then other parts of my yard / drive only have an inch or 2.

12. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Is it better to forecast a big one and have it degraded......

To forecast a light storm and be dumped on ???

Questions for the naive
  13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Our idiots said the same......
    I guess there will be a few Generators and Propane Heaters/ Lanterns being returned today....:laughing:
  14. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I would MUCH rather be over prepared and not need it than to be told don't worry and then get SLAMMED. Having said that, it is like tornado warnings and sirens going off here in the Midwest. If you hear them and nothing, and hear them again, and nothing, then you become complacent and you might not react to them next time, which is when the tornado finally comes and wipes you out.
    In their (meteorologist) defense, it is very difficult sometimes to drawl a happy medium between being right and wrong on what to say and warn for and what not too. JMO
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That's the truth one my 6-8'' storm I got last year was forecast for dusting to 2''
  16. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Fox News Meteorologist were saying early yesterday. Of all the weather events snow storms are the hardest to predict.

I guess it takes more than one flip of a coin. :laughing:
  17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

More then a coin flip for sure. It takes 2 darts, 1 for the map as to who is going to get it and 1 for the graph as to how much they are getting.
  18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Like the clipper we got here Sunday night into yesterday. Everyone said 1-3 Sunday and 1-3 Sunday night. Got nothing at all till late Sunday evening, and the total by 3AM yesterday was 5.5 inches, I stopped measuring after that until I got home, but I finally measured 7.5-8 at my house.

The flared wing v plow was fun for this one!!!
  19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Looks and sounds like a once a year storm, at least around here. Maybe once every 2 years.

The only reason I like to know ahead of time if it is going to be "epic" is I will try to find another loader.
  20. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict