1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Business type?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Roundhammer, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

Hey everyone.

So here's my Question?

Does a person start and lanscaping or property maintenance company? that does snow removal as part of it's arsenal of services?

are there big differences?..My background is masonry and we all know how that goes in the winter ;)

Thanks for all the help.

2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I know plenty of masons that do snow removal in the winter. It's a natural segway if you ask me. I dont think you have to start a "property maintenance" or LS company just to plow snow if that's all you want to do.
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I think snow removal is a natural service for anyone who does seasonal work.

we have lawn and landscapers, construction companys, tree guys, pool guys, etc.

anyone who does a job related to the weather really. I'm sure lawn landscapers get the bulk of the business because they already them as there clients. but there's plenty for everyone.
  4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

The thing with snow is you can make it as big or little as a person's drive and desire. For me it is a fit offering my customers a year round suite of services so far it seems to be working and set for growth.
  5. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I'm a welder...
  6. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

Thanks everyone!.

What I get from this is.. I can basically start any business I want. As long as I tell the insurance company that I'm going to be plowing and get the correct insurance( I've been doing LOTS of reading!) and VOILA!..I'm off!.

and that is why you ask the people that do it :)

Thanks again.

7. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

Heres to brickies being plow guys! :drinkup: When I ran snow work for a lawn and landscape guy all we hired was our bricklayers and laborers and some concrete guys I knew. Now that we are growing on our own (as mason contractors) we are looking at the same labor pool. When it snows it is generally to cold to do any masonry!
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah,of course--WELCOME TO AMERICA,land of the free and overtaxed,over regulated,over paper worked,over worked,over analyzed,etc,etc:).Ummm,you also might want to check in with a lawyer and or CPA to figure out what type of biz you want--single proprietorship,partnership,LLC,Subchapter S,etc.and then after that get set up with your state for registering,forms,sales tax,etc. Good luck.
  9. gpservices

gpservices Junior Member
    from CT

Also rememeber that just adding buisness liability insurance wont cover it. You can not plow snow in any drive or lot other then your own unless your truk, jeep, suv etc... is commercially insured, if you leave your driveway with a plow on your vehicle with regualr auto insurance and you hit someones garage door or car anything , your not covered, you need liabilty for your buisness plus commercial auto and it aint cheap, my insurance went from $800 a year on 2006 chevy 2500 to $1800 and i have no tickets or accidents and im over 25 and married. I know it sucks but not worth learning the hard way. Happy plowing :)
  10. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

not cheap huh?

location is the name of the game for this one.

I live in IN my liability insurance is $276 quarterly. my commercial auto insurance is $276 quarterly. sounds decent to me.