1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Business relationships with mechanics...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by svelasquez, Jan 28, 2008.

1. svelasquez

svelasquez Member

My question is primarily aimed at those of us who have one truck / plow etc... where we don't have the option to jump into a backup vehicle.

Can you provide some examples here on what type of relationships you've created with mechanics? Specifically, I'm wondering how you guys are getting your vehicles serviced when there's a breakdown during a snow event.
    • Do you have contracts with mechanics
    • Do you have verbal agreements with mechanics

Are you getting, and if so how are you getting "priority" service? Can you suggest some ways to approach a mechanic to establish this type of relationship?

Thanks in advance,

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

My frined is a mechanic, he takes care of me quickley when my truck isdown. I also plow in front of his shop.
  3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I do all my own work. I've been a mechanic for over 20 yrs. I rent a small garage down the road for personal work AND I have a friend with a full garage that I can use anytime day or night as I have a key to it.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My mechanic is my neighbor who also plows- we cover each other's routes when necessary so there's automatically an understanding I need priority service. Mid storm I may have to wait an hour for him to get to the shop when he's out on a route so I'm usually on my own at that point, but I have only had 3 issues mid storm- and and all were fairly easy fixes with parts on hand.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have this problem kinda sorta too. Although my truck is a 04 and the plow is brand new there is still the chance something might break. Like today I dropped my plow off to get the lift cylinder valve fixed. They wanted me to leave the whole truck and plow there. I said wow wow. I can't just leave my truck. As it is my personal vehical, and I am a one man band. They agreed with me that they should have asked first before asking for my keys. I was able to leave the plow, but what happens now? No plow on the truck, and snow is on the way. Luckly I have a buddy on here that was able to let me borrow his other plow for the time being. A BIG BIG thanks to him. But I still hear ya. I don't have a regualr micheanic. I can't trust them. So it is kind of a spur of the moment thing if something happens.
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a close person friend who is a mechanic, they will stop what they are doing to fix my trucks! Even if it's nite or weekend they will meet me at the shop to fix it regardless of when.
  7. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

When my trans went out in Nov. I talked to the service guy and told him that I do not have a back up truck I had my truck back the next day. And he sad if the plow guys let them know that its there only truck they try to get it right in.
  8. svelasquez

svelasquez Member

Thank you...

Thank all of you for your replies. Basically, what I'm hearing is that I either need to become a mechanic or go make friends with one post haste! LOL! Seriously though, thank you.
  9. zappalawn

zappalawn Member
    from pgh

i have 2 guy that do work for me one has a a service station and also plows too so hes out in storms too.other guy works for me worked for gm dealer for 10yrs and independant for about 2 so he drives the ford that has all the problems
  10. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

I found a good mechanic a few years ago, a guy who worked for 20 years for dealerships, then opened his own shop. I steer him as much business as I can, year-round. I do a lot of my own work, but anything I can't handle on my trucks, my wife's or daughter's cars go to him. He is honest, reliable, and if I have a problem in the middle of a storm, he rolls my truck right in. You'll have better luck if you make yourself a regular customer in the off-season.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I totally agree. We have a mobile mechanic and a regular mechanic, that we use. You have to form a relationship with the owner to get good service. The large chain shop, can't offer the service of a small independent. JMO
  12. doh

doh Senior Member

I am a Sales Mgr at a local dealership, the bodyman subbed for me lat year when I went to Daytona/Disney.

One of the tech's who plows also, had a neighboring Hotel owner, come looking @ me for "Who plows the grocery store next to me" "I heard you do plowing?"

I stated "I do not plow the store next to you" then I fixed his computer. So far I haven't needed him drastically, but I figure he would be there if I did.

Anytime I need to go to the shop to fix something, he has told me where his tool box key's are. So that alone is a great accept.
  13. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I do not know about NJ, but up here, several of the plow dealers are on call 24 hours/day for mechanical issues. Talk to a couple dealers to see if they have pager service for after hours emergencies. If they do, GET THAT #, and also see if they can recomend a mechanic that will do quality emergency work if you have truck problems.

I don't know how far down in NJ you are, but if you want a GREAT mechanic and are willing to drive into the city, contact Stephan at Autobahn in Manhattan - 212-289-5800. His prices are definitely up there, but he's 100% honest, and does great work!
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008