1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Business Registration Question?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snow4me, Aug 5, 2010.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Been plowing for two years residential for cash, now I want to register my business. The problem I'm coming across is when I register with the county they tell me I should also register in the village in which I live. The village told me they will not allow me to register a plowing business from a residential address. I even told them I will keep my equipment in a barn, hence my neighbors won't even know I'm running a business from home. They told me no it has to be on commercial property. I can't find any commercial property to rent available for a price that would be feasible.

I'm thinking that since I haven't given anyone my address or business name yet, I can get a post office box, register with the county from the P.O. Box and skip registering with the village. Has anyone else running just a plowing business ever come across this problem?

I want to do this on the level and pay my taxes but I can't even make enough plowing to cover a $1,000 monthly rent for essentially an office I don't even need!

2. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Just got off the phone with the county clerks office. They told me that they need a physical address so the P.O. Box idea was shot down. Upon further discussion I told her I was trying to run a two-truck plowing business and she was surprised the village I live in didn't allow it from home. So I asked if they sent any information to my village upon registering with the county. She said no, so I figure if I keep the trucks in my barn and only put signage on while I'm plowing then I can run my business from home without getting in trouble with the village. Does this sound like a good work around to you guys?

3. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Just check with the village and ask to see the zoning ordinance most likely they don't have one just like alot of small towns.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can't you register with the State? Then just keep quite about things.

5. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Yes I'm registering with the state and county as a sole prop. I think I'll be fine with the village...

6. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

That's a nice website you've got going there...
    I've got to create a marketing plan so that is a logical next step. I'm only going into snow removal so I don't need anything that extensive. I'm just wondering how much a simple website would cost to develop? How about hosting fees?

:help:
    Tom