1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Business major with a quick question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by justin401, Sep 19, 2010.

1. justin401

justin401 Junior Member

Hello everyone. After reading several "starting a snow plow business" links from google, i stumbled upon this site. Ive been scanning the site for about an hour - there is a TON of valuable information on this site to read through.

But before I can take a shot at starting/running my own snow maintenance business I realize I have to learn how to operate a plow and the other things involved. My question is - what is the best way for someone who has never driven a plow to land a job doing plowing? Im finishing my last semester in December so im thinking now is the perfect time to search for a job for then.
  2. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Out of all the information on this site, It's not even half of it. There is so much more you need to know / learn that you wont find on this site. That being said a little trial and error and you should be able to figure it out. Especially if you have a head for business, and it sounds like you do.

As for learning how to run a plow, sub for a larger company for a few years. Running a plow is not rocket science but it's one of those things you just have to learn by doing. I can tell you how to lift a plow and turn it left or right but it takes experience to be able to pull into a lot and plow it correctly and efficiently.

Just call around local snow removal companies and ask if they are hiring subs. Be honest and tell them you are new. Having no experience is actually a good thing !
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Start with a shovel and work your way up. Someone will call in cause they are lazy or hungover and you will be promoted to the glorious position of snow plow truck driver!
  4. justin401

justin401 Junior Member

Thanks for the responses guys
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Or do like I did in your position. Buy a plow, have it installed and ask the seller to show you how to lift it to get it home. Practice putting on and off before it snows.Plow your own drive a couple times. Plow for a neighbor a couple times. Get some accounts and figure it out as you go.
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Do you have a truck that is plow capable or no? Are you in a position to buy a truck if you do not already have one?
  7. dumbyankee

dumbyankee Member

A shovel will teach you more about snow than you will ever learn in a truck. Most people buy a truck, a plow, then add a sander in a year or two, but never learn about the stuff they are pushing. They think its easy money. Not. Some members on this site could wright a book and never cover all the situations would find your self in. Other members would say if it pushes hard give it more gas. I have watched a few promo clips of some dude plowing into a snow bank with his pickup. He is proud of his clip. If I had a driver hit a bank like that I would fire him on the spot. Like any thing worth doing, learn to do it right, make your mistakes, hopefully small, and go from there. You decide if its right for you or not.
  8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Plowing is the easy part

I was in your same situation in 1979. Had a business degree and was getting into the lawn, landscaping, and snow plowing business. Thought my business degree would take me home.

Well it didn't't. The book knowledge was great, but what they did not teach me in class was the industry knowledge. Just what you are looking for here and on the Internet. You can gain a lot of valuable information sorting through sites like this that will help you.

We also offer something you may find very beneficial for your company. A simple methodology to bridge the gap between formal education and industry knowledge. Check our "Library of Knowledge Package" at www.profitsareus.com. I am confident you will find this helpful for your total business. If you have any questions, you can reach us at 800-845-0499.

We do what you do on a daily basis and have since 1979.