1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Business loans and grant?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ggwash21, Dec 10, 2004.

1. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

I was wondering where i would go or even start looking for business loans or grant for starting a business.. Any help would be great
    thanks
    gary

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Small Business Administration. You will need, as a minimum, a well-developed Business Plan.

3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

As mick said with SBA, also can try some of your local banks. Again, a solid business plan is needed. It doesn't hurt..you get a leg up...if you are women owned or a minority.

4. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Well my wife wants me to start it cuz i have ran her dad's snow removal business and i get **** for it.. but thanks again guys

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

Does your wife have a job?

Have her start the business in her name and you become a employee....

This way the company is Minority owned ( owned by a woman) and therefore the business is eligible for those types of minority business loans.

6. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

thats what we were thinking.... :drinkup:

7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Please take no offense to this...but make sure you trust her because she is ultimately in charge of the business.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Amen brother!!!

9. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Reaper what branch you in??
    yes i trust her and i told her nothign against her but we will ahve somethign in writing before we start all this

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I was ARMY Discharged back in 78.

That is my son-in-law ARMY E7 in Iraq taken last week.

11. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

As far as minority ownership is concerned, it really doesn't help much unless you are looking for federal or sometimes state government gigs. Even then a small operation such as mine or maybe yours couldn't afford to carry the minimum insurance coverages. I went that route thinking I could get all kinds of govt work in both snowplowing and in my other business ventures. I searched and searched and found nothing. If you do go that route I hope it works out better for you than for me. In the end it's no big deal. As long as toy ars is covered.

12. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Lots of respect to you reaper and your son-in-law what unit is he in?
    i was with the marine corp 2/6 0331 machingunner

well we arent gonna hit the business this till spring..

13. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Cash Talks And Bull Sh%% Walks

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

He is deployed out of Germany. Part of the Big Red 1 Unit. They are up in Trikut[sp] with a mission every other day. Due to come home in March 05