1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Business advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TNSnowMan2224, Mar 29, 2015.

1. TNSnowMan2224

TNSnowMan2224 Junior Member

What's the best way to get clients.
    I have 50 landscaping/mowing accounts and will pursue that

On the other hand I want to pick up some call when needed business
    What's the best way to pursue this
    Better price? And good attitude. But what's the trick to make yourself in the snow world be the best and attractive

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Use the same method that got you the other 50 accounts. Does "better price" mean a lower price or market price with value added services thrown in?

Welcome to Plowsite.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

word of mouth.

4. TNSnowMan2224

Agreed both points. With not much snow here consistently I want the small business money. Most my stuff is residential
    I will have to be cheaper to maybe only break even year 1 to show product at A+++

5. Grantski

Grantski Member
    from 06475

This was my first year and I can def say the existing customers from my landscaping business were the easiest to deal with. On the other hand every new call I got seemed to be a complete pain in the ass : either couldnt understand plow pricing / were testy or picky about everything / and the mid winter new calls usually were driveways with a 2 inch sheet of ice on them from not being plowed all season. I tried pricing low on a few of them and trust me by the 5th storm of breaking even (must consider unexpected expenses) it will get old fast. Plus its harder to raise your price for long term customers after you've started low. my 2 cents I just started but learned alot this winter.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. TNSnowMan2224

Thanks man. Great post
    I had a feeling that's how it would go, did you recover any good calls? That worked out

7. Grantski

Grantski Member
    from 06475

Another sugg. add snoblower service but @ a higher rate and pitch it as "premium" snow removal cuz it does a better job & can put the snow where u want it to go.
    I guess for every 4-5 pain in the ass ppl u get 1 that is totally cool and usually even gives u more $ than what u asked for.
    Just like landscaping dealing w the people is a big part of it. My biggest hangup was not having a cut & dry agreement on when to plow / what trigger ". Spent way too much time guessing / calling and texting to confirm if ppl wanted plowing since everyone wanted plowing @ the 3" range.
    So next season Im requiring service any snowfalls over 1" - as maintenance to prevent icing - but mostly to avoid the phone calls/emails/texts every storm. (Snowfalls 1-3" will be @ a low discount rate)

8. TNSnowMan2224

Awesome info! I have thought about that but great post makes it easy to understand your points

I'd like to get a contract 365 set up as well but you know how people are
    Some want that prime rib for McDonald's price