1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bush's replacement

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, May 24, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Well, i had a post on this back in April, but I don't know what happened to it.
    So, background, church that I do calls up 3 weeks after the last snowstorm and says "you hit 4 bushes"
    I go out and look.
    Possibly could have hit two, the other two aren't in my stacking area, but whatever, to keep a good customer I'll replace them.
    Guys screws around and says "I don't know what kind they are I'll have to find out"
    A week later I call him back (because you know, I want to get this resolved, busy spring time is coming) and we talk and I say "look I'll go pull them out so at least it looks better", he says ok.
    I go and cut them down, run them thru my chipper and while doing this I find the tag still on the trees (more high quality workmanship :rolleyes: ) and call him up and tell him.
    "oh, he says I'll have to get prices"
    Another couple days go by.
    I finally call my tree wholesaler, tell him I need some 6' tall upright Junipers (I forget the type at 6am in the morning today). He tells me $120 apiece. Fine, that sucks, but I'm a standup guy I'll take care of it and hire a laborer to help me put them in. (figure maybe 4 hours, 1 hour per each, not a huge deal).
    I call the guy tell him I found them and that I'll get it done.
    He says "wait, I want to check them out"
    He calls back like 3 days later (notice the timeline here, it's a HUGE problem, but he's in no hurry) and says "well, they are 6' tall, but only 2' wide, the ones that were there were 4' wide (overgrowing the parking lot)

Ummm, it's a plant, it grows.
    "well, i want to file a claim on your insurance"

Fine, you do that, I'm done here.

He files a claim (which is going to take forever, duh, it's an insurance company). The adjuster calls me and we talk. She actually meets with him, says no reason to meet with me, she gets the problem and says the church guy is (and I quote) "difficult)

So, few more weeks go by, Thursday, the claims agent calls and says "what is this, i dont' understand." I explain the whole thing, and she says "the guy is asking for " (wait for it)

Three thousand five hundred dollars ($3500)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said What? That's unbelievable. I tell her the whole story, bushes, look at the attached pictures, etc. I mean at worst we're talking $1000/$1200 full retail installed. (even at $100/bush which is ridiculous, this isn't a tree, ti's a 10 gallon bush, there's nothing to stake, etc)

She calls the adjuster, calls the church guy, gets the whole story

Claims agent calls me back about noon yesterday (friday) and tells me "well, this is ridiculous, the burden of proof is on him, clearly cars could knock those over (easily, many are dented from it) and the waiting 3 weeks after a snowstorm simply doesn't fly.
    I'm going to deny it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Made my day. :drinkup:
    Guy could have made whole and I offered to take care of it. No, he wants to be a jerkwad (insert more appropriate term) and try to make out on the insurance companies money and because he reached for it all gets NOTHING.
    Serves him right.
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Too funny.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i remeber the story and thank god he got served.........one more for the PLOWERSxysport:D
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

From the title it almost sounded like the starting of a political thread..... :p
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if that was the case i think this guy would do fine.....:D

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nice guy, especially for someone claiming to be a Christian. Guess his payback happened a little sooner than judgment day.
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I it when someone who calls themself a Christian does something like that. I'm not perfect either, I've done lots of stuff, but that's just a bad testimony. Sorry about that "Christian" LoneCowboy. Just so you know, we aren't all like that!:waving:
  8. LoneCowboy

The worst part of the story?

It's my church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy:
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I can't believe that guy! I'm glad he got what he deserved.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That explains it.I could write volumes on working for churches and non-profit organizations. Still do it, not completely sure why, but similar things have happened at my own church.

As long as it wasn't you that was trying to collect the insurance. :nod: ;) :D
  11. LoneCowboy

I got the bill the other day from teh insurance company for $250

What the ???
    I call them up
    The policy says deductible on claims and expenses up to $1000 (which I do somewhat seem to remember)
    so, I guess they paid the independent adjuster for the report.

still worth it.
    I asked "did they pay teh claim (i.e. am I going to have to fork over another $750?)
    Nope, denied
    it's still open and it may go further (court, arbitration), but denied at this point.

so, that's sweet.

Guess I'll just subtract that $250 from the tithing. (grrr)
  12. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Thought is was political at first, but glad I read it anyway. That was a great story, way to do the right thing Cowboy, at least you will sleep well at night!
  13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i thought the same thing when i read the title......and i was going to say a pot smoking monkey would be a upgrade lol

back on topic. it seem's that non-profit things always turn to "bite me in the butt"

LC i am glad to hear that they didn't just pay off on it.

i have a funnie lil' insurance story that i'll share too but i don't want to hijack youre thread