1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Burnt cluch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MJay, Jan 7, 2006.

1. MJay

MJay Member

Howdie Peeps
    Replaced clutch in my 1990 v6 toyota and after less than 200 miles, 3 storms worth plowing its burned up. I'm easy on the clutch, push the snow in 1st, haven't got stuck at all: I did tow a friend out of a snowbank that required a few tugs. Could this have burnt my cluch up so quickly? Truck drove fine afterwards: Only while I was plowing a parking area 300sq yards did she start to slip.
    Any thoughts ???????????
    Let it snow, let it snow
    Hanging by a thread !

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

if it burned up that fast either you were riding the clutch or it was not set up properly. i plowed for years with a stick and never burned a clutch sold truck after 5 years amd still had origanal clutch.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

adjustment was wrong. even riding it wouldnt kill it that fast.

4. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Does your truck have a hydro clutch? If so your slave may might be sticking and not letting the clutch fully release.

I am not much of a Toyota guy, did the flywheel get resurfaced? and was it a mulitle step flywheel? Alot of shops do not resuface them correctly.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Sound to be an allignment problem. I beat the heck out of my 4 speed Ranger's clutch and have not had a problem in 37,000 miles!:rolleyes:

6. MJay

MJay Member

Got her done last night: Throw out bearing was sticking on shaft, not releasing clutch fully. Gave it a thorough cleaning [2 cans brake cleaner, rags, and a brillo pad] lubed it up with anti-sieze grease. All's well for now, we'll see if I can get a few K out of this one. Crossing fingers.
    Thanks for the info.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There's a lesson for you- when you have a clutch changes no matter what vehicle ALWAYS change the throwout bearing.

8. MJay

MJay Member

Uh hu! Throw out bearing was changed.

Let it snow, let it snow

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like the guys doing the clutch missed a few things. Here's all I can relate-0 my first vehicle was an 82 SR5 Toyota- loved that truck. They were noted from 1980 through 1986 for weak 5spd trannys. Slave cylinders loosing seals (been there), through out bearings going about every 75K miles (been there), output shaft bearings going about every 75K miles (been there), and massive rust problems (oh yeah- been there). We bought it with less than 90K miles- already had major body work done on the bed quarters (all new quarter panels and half a bed floor from rust), tranny rebuilt (output shaft and bearings), new clutch (since they were in there) and throughout bearing. I put her up to 138K miles- throughout was already starting to stick, output shaft bearings went south taking out 4 gears in the tranny. Used tranny went in (cheaper than a rebuild). Body was shot again and frame was rusted bad. Cracked a frame rail that fall, cracked the other rail the following spring.

Engine was a killer- torque monster, but the tranny was weak design. Still have the original xfer case and attached 5spd case and spare front axle (complete) in the back yard. Don;t know why I haven;t tossed them yet.

10. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I thought thats where the part got its name THROW OUT bearing.:angry: :angry:

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Has anyone given you hints on plowing with a stick?
    My first plow truck was a 5 spd Bronco II, I had an old timer instruct me on plowing with one:
    #1 Never slip the clutch against a load, backup,lift plow a bit,move forward with the clutch all the way out, drop the blade as you get to the load.
    #2 If you have to push right up against a load, dump the clutch don't slip it.
    #3 As forward progress stops,push in the clutch,don't churn in the snow it breaks U-joints - do to the direct connection of manual transmissions.
    #4 Lift the plow before backing out of the pile.
    #5 Use the gas pedal not the clutch to vary power to the push.
    #6 Plow in low range when the going gets rough,dump the clutch when going up in gears.
    When you replace a clutch if it's been a while always:
    Have the Fly wheel machined You need a good flat machined surface!
    Replace: Disk,Pressure plate,Throw out bearing, Pilot Bearing and the Salve cylinder.By replacing these parts you may never re-visit the job again! You might even think about replacing the rear main oil seal on the engine while you are there. Mine was easy with the install tool, it took 10 minutes.