1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Burning Smell while plowing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nhff2, Feb 27, 2007.

1. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

Hey guys, i have a 2006 F350, 6.0L PSD and a 8.5 Western MVP Plus. It finally snows here the other day so i got my first chance to plow with the new truck and new plow. I had a burning smell coming from under the entire time i was plowing but the truck was not overheating at all. anyone have this problem?? I was told that the new MVP plus hydro pump has a problem with the fluid spraying out of the breather cap until all the air is out of the system. I did notice that there was fluid all over the front of the truck. Could the burning smell be the hydro spraying on the radiator???
  2. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Unless the hydro fluid is spraying on something really hot it will just smell like hydro fluid. The burning smell is probably just your brakes. They get stinky when you use them a lot.
  3. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

I've never smelt my brakes burning before! anyone else?? :dizzy:
  4. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

no ive never smelt my brakes burning before and i pull a dump trailer often, definetly dont think its the brakes. any other ideas??
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

6. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

If the truck is new enough it might have been the exhaust just burning the paint off
  7. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

i dont think the trucks that new for that anymore. Ive got 11K on it already
  8. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

And mine is a 99' with 61,000.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The only reason oil should be coming out the breather cap is if it's overfilled. The air should work it's way through the cylinder packing, if there is any air in the system. Also, air is lighter\will move easier than fluid, so that would work it's way to the top and go out the breather before oil would.

If you have oil all over the front of the truck, you probably have something wrong and that very well could be what you are smelling.
  10. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

yea im almost positive that its the fluid i am smelling, as for why its happening, Western has a notice out that the new MVP Plus hyrdo pumps are having problems with holding the air in the system, thats why it sprays fluid. My installer showed me the Western notice he installed the plow
  11. nygiants451

nygiants451 Junior Member

Burning smell

Personally i think its the 4x4 burning off i had a burning smell while driving in 4 wheel ...i also think its because ur a hoople lol
  12. drplow

drplow Senior Member

after plowing for an hour or more, my truck smells every so often. cant find out what it is but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.xysport
  13. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

sometimes the metal edge on the pavement will smell very much like a stone wheel grinder on metal since it is essentially the same thing; stone on metal friction. but the fact that you say there is fluid all over the front of the truck i would suspect something to do with that as the source. definitely not the brakes, they should smell unless you are driving with the parking brake on, otherwise i don't think sno plowing should generate much brake heat at all, it's not a very brake intensive activity.