1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Burning Smell while plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nhff2, Feb 27, 2007.

1. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

Hey guys, i have a 2006 F350, 6.0L PSD and a 8.5 Western MVP Plus. It finally snows here the other day so i got my first chance to plow with the new truck and new plow. I had a burning smell coming from under the entire time i was plowing but the truck was not overheating at all. anyone have this problem?? I was told that the new MVP plus hydro pump has a problem with the fluid spraying out of the breather cap until all the air is out of the system. I did notice that there was fluid all over the front of the truck. Could the burning smell be the hydro spraying on the radiator???

2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I dont know aif it the fuild that smells but my 06' F350 Diesel was doing the same thing when I first got it. Does it once and awhile now but I couldnt find the source either.

3. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

yea but did it happen to you all the time or just when you plowed because ive had this truck since april 06 and ive never had that happen before and as soon as i took the plow off it was fine, i put 100 highway miles on the truck today and no smell at all

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yup only happens when I plow. Never when normal driving. Ive got about 40,000 on the truck now and still once in a while when it is pushing snow it does it again.

5. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

It's the brakes. You use the hell out of them when you plow. They get pretty stinky.

6. Boycea

Boycea Member
    from MA

I have an 06 F350 diesel and have this same problem as well when plowing. I figured it was just the brakes.

7. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

brakes or possibly trans fluid?

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Can you identify the smell? Does it smell like hot oil or wires\insulation melting?

Hot brakes smell totally different than hot tranny fluid or electrical burning\melting. Engine oil smells different than tranny fluid when hot and so does brake fluid. Hot or boiling antifreeze smells different as well. Could be a multitude of things. Needs to be narrowed down.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I also smell a smell like this with my Silverado, Can't identify it but it sure smells, can't even really describe it. I don't think that just ford trucks do this

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My truck also throws a smell when I plow... It doesn't smell like any of the fluids burning, so I have always thought it was from all the snow/ice/salt/whatever that gets thrown up and packed in places it normally wouldn't if I wasn't plowing...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  11. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

Do you use a rubber or composit cutting edge? When I plow for long times it will smell like burning rubber.

12. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

It's the brakes. i'm telling you, if we all have the same problem with no dammage occuring it has to be something that gets hot when we plow ie. brakes. The pads and shoes these days are made from different materials then they were back in the day. They get hot and smell bad when you plow for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've plowed 8-10 hrs. every event for the three years i've owned this truck. That's approx. 600 hrs. And after every event I pull the truck in the garage and smell that same smell, without any known mechanical issues.

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I'm not worried about mine either... I have plowed 3 winters with this truck and it alway smells when I put it in the garage. But it doesn't smell like hot brakes to me....

14. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

I really dont think its the brakes, the smell is without a doubt coming from under the hood. and when i opened the hood everything inside was much warmer than usual.

15. Mark Oomkes

You guys are doing something wrong if you're getting your brakes that hot while plowing, unless they're adjusted too tight.

I have smelled what I always thought was electrical insulation burning before. Took me a long time to determine that when the insulation\sound deadener gets wet and then everything under the truck gets warmed up along with running the heater constantly inside the truck, it gives off the odor of burning insulation. Had this earlier this year and I wrote it off to that, turns out had a couple wires melting together in the controller. Oops.

16. nhff2

nhff2 Junior Member

the wires that we melting were the ones from the plow controller?

17. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

brakes when plowing? thats what the snow banks are for! maybe you guys should try a shower :) :drinkup:

18. Mark Oomkes

Yeah, custom switch box, 2 of them melted together.