1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Burning smell while plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boutallnite, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a 2000 TJ with a new Snoway on it. This was the first time I was using it. When I was plowing I smelled a burning smell. Like wires or paint. It did not smell all the time though. I figure it was the paint on the hydraulic cylinders, cuz it's new. Or the guy that wired it, messed something up. Also my relay for the fuel pump craped out. I swapped it with the horn relay and it was fine and so was the horn. My mechanic told me it was OK and not from plowing.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

That was my first time plowing and I loved it. Did 6 lots a 4 driveways in like 7 hours. Will post some pics of it next week.
    payup :drinkup:

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I think you answered you own question. Burnt relay.

3. Boutallnite

The smell was still there after I changed the relay.

4. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

The burnt smell may linger for a few days. If you still smell it, it could be some leaves or junk built up in your heating system. Something like this happened to me once, leaves got near the heater core and started to smolder.

5. CHINOOK SNOWMAN

CHINOOK SNOWMAN Junior Member

Burning smell

I have a Western V plow and I have noticed a smell when I was plowing. It took me a long while to figure out that it was the metal rubbing on the asphalt. When it wears it smells just like when you are grinding metal, familiar smell but hard to place. Hope your problem is this simple.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You got to remember your working the truck hard when you plow. The alternator and everything else is going to have a much bigger heat load then normal. Look for loose stuff under your hood. The truck gets a lot more shocks and jolts then most trucks. Stuff could be toughing the exhaust manifold or a little oil leaking onto the exhaust. Look for wires that pass through holes in bulkheads etc they could be worn real bad. I would put the right fuel pump relay on the truck if I was you. It could die at anytime on you. Like 03:00 am with lots of snow! The horn relay is not designed to be on all the time.

7. Boutallnite

Well the relays are the same, but I already got another one from the dealer just incase. AS far as the burning smell. At first I thought in was in the back by the rear wheels. I thought it could be the brakes rubbing with snow stuck in them. Than I smellet it more forward. I don't know I am gona talk to the people that installed it today, see what they have to say.

Thanx for all the feedback.

8. SnAscksdck99

SnAscksdck99 Junior Member

Re: Burning smell

yup i smell grinding metal.i also smell rubber burning at times.its not from the tires at all.it just comes and goes during plowing

9. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I have to plow over flat rock and I get an odor like gunpowder.

10. Boutallnite

So you guys think it's mostly from grinding the pavement and I should NOT worry? And that that burning smell had nothing to do with my Fuel pump relay overheating?
    Hope that is what it is.
    Snowing again in Jersey!!:drinkup:

11. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I guess what I'm saying is it's not unusual to smell something while I'm plowing that makes me nervous till I realize what it is. Pavement, rock, cement, the other day my neighbor started his wood stove while I was plowing and got me nervous for a minute.
    A burning smell at the same time a relay burns up is quite a coincidence, but if everything is working ok now, no sense worrying about it.

12. Boutallnite

Well, it happend again. Now I know it has something to do with the relay. The smell became very strong right before the fuel pump relay blew out again. It seems to be when I am really pushing it. I am gona get to the bottom of this with the people that installed it.

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your fuel pump is pulling too many amps and is ready to die or you have a bare wire somewhere. Not enough of a short to pop the fuse-able link but enough to tax the relay.

14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Have you owned the TJ since new or is it a recent purchase? Is it modified in any way like exhaust or suspension? You may have a short in one of your wiring harnesses going back to your fuel pump. The other thing to look at is where the plow installer tapped into your fuse panel assuming you have key operated electric to your plow. I am not sure about the wiring of your snow way but my Westerns have 12 volts coming from both the battery and a keyed 12V switch. If the plow installer used the same circuit to power both your fuel pump and your plow, there could be your problem. Most of the time, it is an 18 ga red wire that might have a tag on it that says "trigger" or something to that effect. They usually only draw an amp or two but you never know.

15. Boutallnite

I owned the TJ from day one. I do have some mods on it, but nothing electrical. The installer said that he only hooked up the plow to the battery and nothig else. I spoke to my mechanic and he said that a fuel pump works the same way under all kinds of driving conditions. He did mention that cuz a plow drains so much from the battery that by the 6th hour of working something doesn't get power and starts to short out or something. HE is gona look at it next week.

16. Plow Meister

He is right about the fuel pump not working any harder under different driving conditions. The pump will put out somewhere around 50 hallons per hour no matter what the injectors are calling for. Whatever is not used will go through the overflow tube and back to the tank.

When you shut your truck off, do you still have power to the plow? Just curious.

Let the dealer look at it. Best thing if it is still under warranty. If they find it is the fault of the plow, get the installer on the phone and let the two of them duke it out. Just keep the stance that it is not your problem and you have no intention of fixing the problem out of your own pocket. Not YOUR fault, right?:nono:

17. Boutallnite

Yeh, the plow lite is still on after I turn the engine off. Why do you ask? Is that wrong? I saw it and thought that that was not the best thing.

18. Plow Meister

Your plow should have a separate 18 ga red wire that is used to turn the plow off when the ignition is turned off. This wire should run to the fuse panel. Under optimal conditions, it would be run to an un-used circuit and this would only power the plow. DOn't confuse this wire with the monster 0 ga wire coming off your battery.

My concern is this... If the installer did hook up the small red wire to the same circuit the fuel pump relay is on. I doubt it though because that would be a ignition controlled fuse and your plow light would turn off when the key is turned off.

I am not 100% your plow has this trigger wire. If you have the wiring schematic from the plow, take a look and see if you can find the "trigger" wire. It might say "12v keyed" ir "12v int". I will look inline and see if I can find a schematic. We'll figure things out if it's the plow. I know Jeeps better than I know my wife:D . Been building and racing them for over 10 years. TJ's are great little monsters.

19. Boutallnite

Thanx Plow Meister,
    I don't see anything from the plow wiring going to any fuseboxes. The guy that installed it said that he connected the plow straight to the battery and that is it. It would probably be a good idea to have the plow turn off with the engine. I am gona talk to the guy again and see why he didn't hook it up that way.

20. Plow Meister

Just spoke with a Sno-Way tech. He is emailing the diagrams to me now. I will look at them and get back to you. Seems your installer did not hook up the wiring properly. Even if this is not the culprit of your fuel pump problem, it will be good to know that your plow is wired correctly.