1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Burlap - Who does it and what to charge

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Patrick34, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Senior Member

Does anyone use burlap around landscape beds to protect from salt damage? If so, what is the going rate? Thanks.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Wrong forum. This is snowplowing.

3. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

Correct forum...

Never heard about this. Is it effective ?

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I don't see how it would help. The damage is done as the salt crystals are dissolved in the melting snow. The burlap is porous and would let the brine pass through.

5. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

I have seen it used in this area, usually around ornamental shrubs that are close to the road. It is put up like a fence. I assume it could stop salt spray from passing vehicles. I don't know if it is effective.

Check out this website:

www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1411.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, from a snowplowing perspective, I would avoid getting salt on plants and other vegetation to begin with. This starts with the planning when you're looking over the site before it snows. Mark the beds and adjust your gates so salt isn't spread in that direction. Plan so that the downhill side will not be into the shrubs - this is included with drainage planning. If you're thinking about municipal plowing, I would think any beds wouldn't be within reach of them. Otherwise, have the homeowner discuss these concerns with the plowing contractor and how he is going to approach the problem.

As far as salt soaking into the ground and affecting vegetation, this is caused by using too much material as it should run off as it dilutes. Otherwise, I wouldn't think anything you do above ground would help salt affects to the roots. But, you might do better consulting a Landscaper.

If you're really concerned, have any control over what is being used and willing to go to the expense, I'd suggest looking into salt treated with a non-corrosive product as Magic or Caliber.

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Most of what I have seen is the wrapping or boxing in of shrubs to protect them from wind burn/moisture loss. I suppose that any chunks of salt kept out of the soil of island beds is a plus and will reduce some of the clean up and help in the recovery of the plants in the spring. I take it that you are talking about circling the whole island or bed area and not just the shrubs.

I've thought of staking down a 6-10 foot wide strip along the street on my lawn so a good portion of the road salt can be picked up more easily in spring. I know it won't keep it all out. I wind up picking out quite a bit of medium to large chunks each spring since we have no curbs and the road is a bit above grade to my yard. Fortunately I have no shrubs at the roadside, but the high salt levels make turf repairs more difficult.