1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buried in Fresh Snow before Thanksgiving!!

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, since I've had nothing but nice weather for 2 weeks now, I decided to drive down to Valdez today (the town south of me where I fish during the summer,.. & where the Trans Alaska Pipeline terminates), to take care of a few things, and took a few pictures of the mountains along the way,...

1a (Small).JPG

1c (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The mountain pass that I have to go thru has had many feet of snow this winter already, but also alot of wind,... so some places are almost bare, others have heavy drifts,...

1b (Small).JPG

1h (Small).JPG

1g (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

But on clear days like this, a person can see for many miles, and these mountains won't see green on them again for another 8 months,... :cool:

1i (Small).JPG

1j (Small).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Zoomed in on a couple peaks,....

1l (Small).JPG

1m (Small).JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

As I came down off the Pass,... (it's downhill for about 9 miles), frozen waterfalls were hanging off the hillsides right along the road,...

1k (Small).JPG

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And as I got closer to Valdez, bald eagles became more numerous,... there's still a few spawning salmon left in some of the streams, but when they're all dead & gone, the eagles have to leave or turn into dumpster divers in order to survive the deep snowy winters of coastal Alaska,...

1n (Small).jpg

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Valdez got about 3 feet of snow in the last day or two, (only had about a foot prior to this), so everyone was busy digging out again,... and piles of snow 10' high & higher were everywhere....

1q (Small).JPG

1r (Small).JPG

1s (Small).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Valdez gets about 25'-30' of snow on an average winter, and close to double that on heavy snow years, so you don't see many plows on pickups,.... the city, the state, businesses and snow removal companies all use big loaders with snow buckets or pushers,.. a pickup would be overwhelmed in just one overnight storm,... :dizzy:

1o (Small).JPG

1v (Small).JPG

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And every loader is chained up,... everyone runs chains on all equipment all winter,... the city loaders are going up & down every street all day long,.. all winter long,.... carrying snow away to empty lots,.... wesport

1p (Small).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Almost every street in Valdez dead ends,... most are not connected,.. in part, so there's a storage area at the end of each street for the loaders to quickly clear & stack snow in the ends,... :cool:

1w (Small).JPG

1y (Small).JPG

11. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

A/Boss youve convinced me . as soon as the financial system turns round (having to work too much at the mo payup) will have to visit your beautiful home state ussmileyflag

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I have to laugh when I read where people are always saying "Never plow snow across the street",... "it's illegal to plow across a street", etc.... because here you literally HAVE to plow into the street,... they almost want you to, like this guy is doing with his ATV, so the city loaders can carry it down to the end & stack it,... otherwise people end up getting boxed in, and half-way plug the street off,... not so much now yet, but by March, things will look alot different than they do now,... they just want you to leave enough room so your neighbors can get in & out, til the city cleans it up,... :salute:

1t (Small).JPG

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

You bet,..come on over anytime,...our fishing here is just as good as the snow plowing,... :D

More piles,....

1x (Small).JPG

2a (Small).JPG

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Some of the piles were more than half way up the power poles already,.... :dizzy:

1u (Small).JPG

15. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Skid steers are everywhere,... I would bet that Valdez has more skids per/capita then just about anywhere else in the country,... far more skids than pickup plows,... many of them like this one are smaller models, but it's the only real piece of equipment that's small enough for most people to own & run, yet able to deal with the amounts of snow that fall here...

1z (Small).JPG

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Another city loader cleaning up an empty snow storage lot,....

2b (Small).JPG

2c (Small).JPG

2d (Small).JPG

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Couple more shots of streets & piles,....

2e (Small).JPG

2f (Small).JPG

18. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Finally headed back up the highway,.... with the sun high-lighting the mountain tops,... and one more eagle watching from a tree top as I drove by,.... it's shaping up to be a good winter,.... :salute::salute::salute:

2g (Small).JPG

19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

can always count on you for great pictures. :nod:

Thankyou for sharing.:)

20. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Alaska thanks for allowing us once again to see the awesome part of the country you live in.
    Hope that you have a prosperous season and please keep sending us the pics:drinkup: