1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bunch of pics getting our cat out of the ice.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Kybol, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

Well I posted a pic in my first thread of our can under the ice, so I thought I would put the rescue in a new thread. Last year, we had alot of snowfall before it could freeze real godd where we work, which is alot of muskeg/ bush roads. With that snow it made for some bad ice, we had to pack all the roads with snowmobiles, let it freeze for a good week or two, then we started going with the cat. This is what happened early in the process.

Rig mats all laid out, making a plan of what to do. Had to wait a few hours for the line locators to get there, since we thought it might of hit the gas line. Luckily, as you can see the line bows out right where the cat went down, and we missed it.

Cutting the ice around it:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

Hooking it up and pulling it out:

3. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

LGP guess it wasnt low enough:D

glad to see you got it out ok:drinkup:
  5. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

Yeah thats is why we got the snocat for this year. Luckily I wasn't running it, I was on the other side of the creek with my truck checking the ice on the next creek. It actually wasnt that bad when he first broke through, you could still get out the door. But after our first attempt to winch it out with 1 cat, it ended up like this, and we had to bring in the rig mats and another cat, to get right over it and pull it up.
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

eeks, that looks like a lot of riggin' to get that out !!
  7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

thats crazy, glad to hear he got out alright.
  8. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Didn't you mean getting your Deere out of the ice? Those are cool pics.
  9. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

ha, yeah if you wanna be picky :D
  10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats pretty crazy....that thing looks coooooooooooold
  11. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Thanks for the pics. Pretty interesting. Good thing nobody got hurt, eh?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

That is crazy. If you don't mind me asking what is the process now.... like do you have to have things done to the machine to ensure its ok. Surely you cant just fire it up and go back to work? or can you. Frozen-deere-sickles anyone?
  13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

How much work did you have to do to get it running again?
  14. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

good thing it was little eh?
  15. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

Well we let it sit in our shop for like a week or 2 waiting for the damn insurance adjuster, then we drained and filled all the fluids and took it back out. But it didnt last long, because I think letting it sit weakened a vavle and it took out a cylinder, so we had to resleeve it and rebuild the head. But it is running good now again.
  16. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Hope the insurance paid enough to have it all covered.
  17. KCB

KCB Senior Member

I wish I could work out in the bush... sigh.tymusic
  18. Kybol

Kybol Senior Member
    from Alberta

Well the company we were plowing for paid for the rescue, which wasnt cheap from what I heard.
  19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

thats nuts. i wouldve been scared out of mind going through the ice. glad to see nobody got hurt and you got it out safely
  20. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thats crazy, glad everyone was alright!