1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bumpy ride??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mdchest, Jan 4, 2003.

1. mdchest

mdchest Junior Member

i have a chevy 98 extended cab 4X4 its my first 4x4 that ive owned, it has all terrain tires and was wondering if it bumpy b/c of the tires , it gets bumpy at about 40 miles per hour, or could it be my ball joints, i was told by a mech that they needed replacing both upper and lower ball joints. thank you for any replies. mark.....

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

How many miles on this Chevy? A 98 needs balljoints replaced already? I have a 92 Chevy that has been used for plowing since day one and the whole frontend is original EXCEPT Idler Arm which has been changed 2 or 3 times over the years and a Pitman Arm once. Id check the air pressure in your tires first thing to make sure they arent too high, check for bad tires, check for blown out shocks also. An out of balance tire can give a bad ride. Certain types of tires can give a lousy ride. Also if they are worn funny or bumpy from being out of balance and/or not being rotated when they should of been, that can give a bad ride too. Did you buy this truck new? I cant believe a 98 needs upper and lower balls already but if you have an extremely high mileage vehicle, then it is possible I guess. My 92 has over 100k and doesnt need those yet. List some more info. Oh forgot to mention that if you have a front tire that is out of round or out of balance, your steering wheel would shake when you get up to the speed you say and higher, 50, 60mph. On a side note, all 4 tires should match to get the best ride, but if they dont, atleast the 2 fronts should match. Mike ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2003
  3. mdchest

mdchest Junior Member

it has 107k on it and i bought it used, when i bought it i had to replace the idler arm and tie rods i then took it to get it aligned but the mech had to do the knockouts to get it aligned, i just went and checked out the tire and they are bf goodwrench all terrain tires but the tires seem to have alot the tread left on them , yeah i agree that having ball joints needed replacing especially since they were able to do the alignment on it , also i did replace all 4 shocks with munroe gas matics , i cant seem to think of anything else but the tires or the ball joints, i just hate to take it in for ball joints if it really doesnt need to be replaced ....

4. mdchest

mdchest Junior Member

oh btw

mike btw, the steering wheel doesnt shake i just feel like im hoping up and down in my seat, i mean its not extremly bad just enough that i notice , its not real smooth , this could be b/c its a 4x4 and that is the suspension but wasnt sure, thanks :)

5. mdchest,

I also have a 98 2500 4x4 with 454 auto ext cab 8' box.

My front was cranked up about 4 turns to compensate for the 8' western ultra mount plow. It rides super stiff when the plow is off.
    When the plow is on I keep the front tire pressure up to 60-65 psi. and 50-55 psi with it off.

Is your front end turned up? You should be able to see, with the plow off, the front end will sit up about 3-4" more than the rear.

Hope this helps.

Bob V