1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crossboneracing, Mar 3, 2009.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

So, this weekend storm both my trucks suffered smashed bumpers. One got caught on a telephone pole cable and bent it out (not really a big deal the body is ok just scratched) the other truck, my guy backed into a stone wall. WTF! I am so annoyed! Anyway, my question is what do you guys use for bumpers on your trucks? I am thinking of putting something more heavy duty on it so this wont happen again. Any ideas? The stock Chevy bumpers seem to suck, especially in the corners. Any thoughts??
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just have the stock bumpers on all my trucks. If I were to replace them, I would use a piece of C channel I think. I used to have a truck with C channel bumpers, and they were stout. Plus you can still mount lights in them, and they are protected.
  3. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

I agree, stock bumpers are useless,and at 400 bucks a piece I would have some fabricated. I had one made out of 8 inch channel for my old GMC. Reese style hitch was built in,back up lights built in.and it never dented.
  4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

C channel is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

O ya, and paint them flat black too.....................nice and ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love driving down the road..... can spot out everyplow truck from a mile away.... except for myn.....
  6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yaaaah thats funny, I got a 96 Chev 3500HD dually with the big ugly plastic grille and C channel 1 x 6 bumpers painted flat black:salute:
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The C channel is extra ballast too. Just where you need it.
  8. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I use 6" x 1/4" thick I beam.

9. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Pretty slick ideas guys, I know a local fab guy i am gonna give him a call to see what he can make up, I just wish their was something better available commercially