1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bumper

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 90plow, Apr 1, 2002.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Is the fairing on the bottom of the GMC bumper on a 95 1500 doing anything does it serve a purpose cause if not i'd like to take it off what do you guys think?
    Eric

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

On the front?

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

theres a black plastic peice on the bottom of the front bumper. Its like a little fairing

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

not that i know of i took mine off 2 years ago becuase i kept running into stuff and broke it off

5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

what holds it on just those big bolts or alll those clips too?

6. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

i know of 4 or 5 people that have taken off that black strip. all i think that is there for is looks.

7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

what is holding this on

8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

i took it off today looks alot better gets rid of the sagging front end look

9. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

the black plastic is actually for the aurodynamics to deflect the wind going beneath the vehicle to keep it from going head into everything hanging below the body line at higher speeds, but if you have a plow out front I dont guess it really matters.

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

i checked that out and on mine there doesnt seem ayhting that it owuld bother and i dont have a plow but there is a big metal sheet uner there to hilp with that too. but if i notice adifference i'll put it back on it just looks alot cooler wihtout it and they take them off to put the plow frame on so they cant be that important

11. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

they were originally designed for the older trucks to push the wind below the lower front A frames, crossmembers and whatnot to make less of a wind drag. I have seen tests done on the that proved they did have enough difference in resistence to warrant putting them on the front bumper for wind deflection.

12. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

good to know guess i'll be putting it back on

13. Txstruck

Txstruck Junior Member

Yeah, if you look in the front of most cars and trucks these days you will see them in various sizes depending on the make and model of the vehicle, but yep they are there to cut down on the wind drag.:cool:

14. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have never noticed a differince in the mpg although it never was good

15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

so it doesnt eally affect anything major then anyway?

16. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

if i was you i would drive it for a while and see if you notice any difference but that is just me