1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bumper protection ideas?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fisher guy, Nov 26, 2009.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

Hey everyone, I have a quick question I'm running a Blizzard Ice Chaser in my truck and and i'm having a lil problem. when the spreader is mounted in the bed and i turn it on sand and salt bounce off my bumper. usually it wouldent be too big of a deal but the bumper is painted black and is its starting to take the clear coat off where its hitting. I just want some ideas on how I can keep the sand from hitting it. I seen guys cover there back end up with tarps but i want it to look halfway decent this is my personal daily driver so any ideas? Also i wanna do this before i put the sander back in the truck (i know i'm runnin late) thanx in advance heres a pic of the truck with a sander http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=90489 but the way it is a shortbed 6 ft 8in box

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I would suggest taking a big truck mudflap (hard plastic/not rubber) trimming it to the dimension of the bottom of the chute/deflector. Mount with 2 ss bolts, fender washers etc. Looks like it would measure the width of the bumper + an inch or two. Long enough to protect the bumper but short enough to not compromise the pattern.

3. fisher guy

thanx man do u have any pix of this just so i can have a visual?

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

If yours is a short bed, buy one of those rubber bed mats for a long bed and let the extra hang out. Or buy one for a short box and pull it back a few feet before setting the spreader in.

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

there are "horse mats" at Tractor Supply that will do the same thing

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is what a friend of mine does.

7. fisher guy

thanx for the help guys im gonna do the bed liner thing thanx for the advice

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We bolt angle iron behind the chute (between the bumper and the inside side of the spinner chute) right across the back of the truck and bolt 3 truck mud flaps to it. The three mud flaps are all connected with bolts too. Helps from getting bumper and underside of the truck and trailer connections all crammed up with salt. Go right across the back if you can-you'd be suprised how far across the back you spinner will shoot salt.

9. fisher guy

hey thanx guys again keep up with the ideas it wont be till next week before i can do anything cuz im still down here in florida waiting on bosses check to drive up so the more the better I gotta see what all that chute can take I havent messed with or even seen it since the end of april thanx again

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

OR--go to your nearest rock quarry or gravel bank and ask for a roll of used conveyor belting.I've found tons of uses for this over the years.Go there with a new Playboy for trade and a roll is usually yours.And if the centerfold that month is hot enough,you just might get it loaded on your truck also.:)

11. fisher guy

hmm i like this udea i used to work at a limerock mine down here in florida and am very good friends with the bossman i already getting some for my new deflector so why not get a lil extra lol thanx man

12. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I have a rubber 6' bed mat...I'll give it to you....Come & get it if you wan't it

13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We use the conveyor belting all the way cross the back, as wide as the wheels. Cut outs for lights so the cops are happy. I know it keeps the truck from being pelted and seems to keep some of the corrosion at bay, definitely helps with keeping the wiring for lights and trailer plug from growing green fur. SALT= RUST=DEATH TO A TRUCK...........We run 7 Salters now and over the years the difference in rust and other corrosion between those trucks with spreaders and those without is unreal.

14. fisher guy

hey where are u located im in salisbury

15. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I'm in Medway

16. fisher guy

thanx tommy i gotta call my old boss i may have an insider source when it comes to conveyor belt for free ill let u know tommorow

17. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

No problem....I'm going to get rid of it @ the town dump if no-one want's it

Tom