1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bumper hydraulic pump

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 77gmcserria, Sep 29, 2009.

1. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Does anyone know how a hydraulic pump works that is connected to the crank shaft? I see them alot on cement mixers and trash trucks. It looks like the pump is sitting on the bumper.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pump

i believe they use load sensing hydraulics ,they pump when they sense a load on the hydraulics .

3. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Does anyone have a pic of this set up and the connection to the motor?

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pump

picture's might be tough to come up with ,they are typically on single and double Axel truck.s .scope out a city lot if you can ,they use ax drive shaft that bolts the the harmonic balancer with a slip yoke an the pump bolted to the big bumper or heavy mount .(expensive}set up.were i used to work about 15 years ago they used to install them for the local city government to control the plow ,dump,spreader ,belly blade ,ect . payup

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I'm not 100% sure about this but here's what I think. Most newer tractors use load sensing hydraulics. It is a complex system that incorporates a signal to the pump so that the pump can adjust it's output to meet demand. The pump itself is what is called an axial piston pump. It uses a swash plate to control how many pistons are used at one time (thus controlling hydraulic output). I have not looked closely at bumper mounted trucks to see if they have the plumbing it takes for this type of system. I think that the vast majority of these units (typically cement mixers and municipal trucks) incorporate a conventional hydraulic pump. This type of system is much less expensive and less complicated. The pump is always pumping at 100% for the RPM being employed at any given time. That is to say that more throttle = more flow (up to the maximum possible output of the pump). Whenever the demand of the system is less than the pump's output the "excess" hydraulic fluid goes through a by pass valve (that is set to the systems maximum desired pressure) and returns to the hydraulic reservoir.
    I hope that helps.

6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I have dealt with a F-700 bucket truck that used a belt driven hydro pump. Had triple belts running it off the crank. Smaller trucks can run a belt driven pump with a clutch pump. Bigger trucks can run a pto pump off the tranny of course.

7. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

Here is our setup.

IMG_1206.jpg

8. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

Another view.

IMG_1207.jpg

9. Greeneverywhere

Greeneverywhere Member

I don't think it is a load sensing pump, but was plenty expensive.