1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bumper Cover

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CARDOCTOR, Jan 16, 2003.

1. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

98 RAM 2500
    THE BLACK COVER ON TOP OF THE BUMPER TURNED GREY
    TRIED MOTHERS BACK TO BLACK LASTS ABOUT 1 WEEK
    WHEN I WASH THE TRUCK IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP

CARDOCTOR:confused:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's a common problem on these trucks,this may help fix it.Try this,it will help.

Date: Feb 14, 1997

Models: 1989 - 1993 (AD) Ram Pickup/Ramcharger, 1994 - 1997 (BR) Ram Pickup

Many other Chrysler vehicles included.

Symptoms:
    Difficult to clean light colored "chalky" residue from exterior plastic body components that are molded in black, especially those that are textured, such as door handles, mirrors, roof rack attachments, etc. Frequently, this "chalky" residue is actually an accumulation of car wax, road grime, etc. trapped in the plastic grain.

Diagnosis:
    If the exterior surface of textured plastic body components that are molded in black appears to be "chalky" in color due to an excessive accumulation of car wax, road grime,etc. trapped in the plastic grain, perform the following Repair Procedure.

Repair:
    This bulletin provides instructions for proper cleaning of textured plastic body components that are molded in black that appear to be "chalky" in color.

notes:
    TO HELP KEEP THE SURFACE BEING CLEANED FROM DRYING TOO RAPIDLY, PERFORM THE FOLLOWING REPAIR PROCEDURE AWAY FROM DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

1. Wet the surface of the component in the area to be cleaned and a toothbrush or other similar soft, short bristle brush with
    water.

2. Using the brush and a mild detergent such as liquid dish soap, gently rub the surface to develop a good lather and remove
    the contaminant.

3. Rinse the assembly with clean water and towel dry.

4. If the residue is not completely removed, repeat steps 1 through 3 until the surface is clean.

Policy: Information only

3. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

bumper covers

yaeh try that thing with the tooth brush right !!!!!!!!! heres what i did i just painted it with black rubber or tire paint it came out real good comes in a spray can too and has lasted over a year now hope this helps......

4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We routinely mask and paint faded bumpers, door handles, and mirrors with semi-gloss polyurethane paint. The plastic isn't usually dirty, it typically has faded due to sun.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

WOW
    i posted the question in 2003. i resolved the problem by replacing my 98 with a 04 2500
    john

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Wow, my 96 is fine. I had that happen when I used certain car waxes and products that stained the plastic- with the products I used (autofom by Blue Coral) there is no repair, but the paint looks sooooo good after I put up with it on other vehicles.

7. Nuth

Nuth Junior Member

that's one way to fix the problem ;) :p

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

My Deep Slate 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited has a faded grille and hood louvers. They faded when it was under warranty and the Jeep dealer wouldn't do one thing about it.

I have never seen any Chrysler product in Deep Slate not have paint issues. :angry:

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's amazing how some people miss the date of a posting when they reply...