1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bumper and inner doors rusting badly!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Doom & Gloom, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

My back bumper and the inner doors are rusting BADLY! My GM bodyshop basically said to bad your out of the bumper to bumper warranty. If it rusts through before 6 yr 100K then we will fix it. I took it to them last April and they did nothing then either, it was with-in warranty then. GM sucks as far as body warranty goes, I have no problems though with the mechanical side of warranty. I'm still going to piss and moan though a little more to GM to see what happens. Any Ideas besides getting a Ford? Oh, I don't salt either.
  2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Never heard of the doors rusting so quickly. the back bumper is crap, on my third one on my 02' not much thicker then a tin can.
  3. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

ohh, I would start a riot if a truck just barely 3 years old started to rust like crazy! That is not right, and I would tell them to repair or remedy this asap, call corporate, and if you have the time, resources and patience pursue it as much as you can, that is big time bs, especially if you brought it to them under warranty
  4. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Agree 110%! This should have been taken care of for you last year. Do not stop making noise until they take care of you.

Do you have any documentation from your visit last spring? That could make a difference if you had to get really pushy on this one. Back in '96 I had a warranty issue with Chrysler on a car transmission, in which I learned that I needed to always protect myself by documenting what I was being told by the dealers, corporate, etc. - in addition to documentation that they dealer provided me on the work they were actually willing to do upfront. When they continued giving me the runaround, I pulled out my documentation indicating every person I talked to, each date, their comments indicating a dismissal of the problem, etc. I went over this info with every one I talked to, until I got to about the fourth person at corporate. He must have realized that I wasn't going to drop it, and all of a sudden my entire tranny was replaced. Car had only 25K on it. Interesting tidbit that later on, I found out that there were DOUBLE the TSB's on that particular model in it's first year, than on ANY other model of automobile sold in the US that year. I would even suggest to go to a few repair & body shops and start asking if they've seen other similar issues like yours so you have potentially more facts before you discuss it further with corporate. Someone may mention bulletins they may have seen come out from the manufacturer.

Your two biggest keys here are to be persistent & provide tons of facts.

Good luck!
  5. Doom & Gloom

Went back to the dealer today for more warranty work and bitched about the rust, the service writer which is super cool had the manager look at it and said they will contact me after talking to the body shop A-Hole that basically said OH-WELL. We will see what happens, next stop GM!
  6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah and probably the next guy after that if the dealer dont wanna do anything will be the Area Supervisor whose job is to shut the complaint down. I dont wanna be negative but they might just be making you jump through hoops..The dealership can then say Oh we tryed to do for you the best we could but The Area Rep wont authorize it. Good Luck in getting warranty after the term from GM
  7. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Spray some Fluid Film before it starts rusting for prevention, or after to stop it from getting worse. I know it's in pretty bad shape now, but this might help in the future.
  8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm having the same problem with the front bumper on my '03- rusting right through! Truck is not all that old, and I wash it ALL THE TIME in the winter!
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Your generation of GM trucks seems to really be prone to rusting. Rockers, doors, cab corners, brake lines, and of course the crap GM bumpers. I'm glad my 97 only has 125K on it. I am seriously planning to take this well over 250K. That will probably take me 5-7 years. I'll be keeping my eye out for a nice 1996-2000 OBS in the next year or two. Going to visit my brother in Nashville this spring. Can't wait to check out some older iron down there.
  10. motorbreath

motorbreath Junior Member

Have you tried a different dealer? I know around here there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with the dealers taking care of this problem. In fact, I know a friend of mine took his truck in for little more than rust stains coming out of the license plate holes in the front bumper, within a week he had a new bumper on.
  11. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

My truck is a 04 and I havent had a single problem with rust. Mine has seen a good bit of use too but I keep it clean. I live down the road from you in Stow.
  12. Doom & Gloom

I'm about as Negative as you can get (hence the name Doom & Gloom) but I think something might happen. What they don't know is I can be a real prix! I won a case similar to this with Ford about 8 years ago. Long story short I won they bought the truck back after 4 years of me leasing it and give me $25000. What a deal drove it for free and then some. So I have very little positive outlook on this case. We shall see.
  13. Doom & Gloom

My truck is super clean all the time, I take it to cruise-ins in the summer without a problem. Hell the bumper rusts in the summer, snow or plowing don't have anything to do with it either. That will be their next question. Marhofer is the dealer, service department is grade A top notch! Body shop SUCKS! We'll their attitude does anyway. Marhofer overall I like.
  14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Wow that sucks man!!! The only thing that is rusting body wise is the underside of my rocker panels. They are getting the swiss cheese effect, lol. But my bumpers chrome front and rear have not a single spot of rust and they are original. Must have gotten a shytty chroming job done. The underside of the doors rust because GM doesnt understand the concept of putting a seal there to keep the salt and road crap out. Never have on any truck, and doubt they ever will. Good luck to you!!!
  15. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I use to go to marhofer until they wouldnt work on my truck anymore cuz its a gmc. Id try some of the other dealers in the area. My buddy likes serpentini. Id give doug chevy a shot too.
  16. Doom & Gloom

Thanks I'll see what happens from here on. I got that It's a chevy from Lambert we can't work on it, they SUCK badly!
  17. te snow

te snow Member

Call GM.

Have you started a claim with GM Customer Support? This might be the best route to take. Once you start a claim the service manager will try and resolve the complaint and if that doesnt work they will send out the district area representative to take a look at the damage. Keep on their a@# and there will be results. I hate to say it but at the least they may only pay a portion of the bill.
  18. Doom & Gloom

Thats next on my list.
  19. Doom & Gloom

Here is a pic of the bumper. Am I making a big deal out of nothing, should I fix it myself?

20. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

The squeaky wheel all ways gets the grease

Have you called Ron Marhofer ? I had to once he was vary helpful .

I would be pi**ed keep making calls until you get help .