1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bullydog or Banks?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cumminswithplow, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I want more power. You can never have too much right? :nono: So anyone have thoughts on which company is better? The Boss has banks. Any comments? Was it easy to install?

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Bully dog makes a good product as well. Gale Banks has been around for years and has his name out there for making a good but expensive product.

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I would definately go with Banks. hehehe

4. cumminswithplow

Y banks.....thats the way i am leaning.....but they dont have test results yet for the 610 cummins. What are the results mr banks?

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Like The Boss said, they have been around for a long time. I am a firm believer that if your name is on the business, it had better be good. It's not only a business, it's your name!

6. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

I have heard a couple great things with the Edge Juice for the 600 Cummins.

What type of mods are you looking at adding on the truck anyways?

7. cumminswithplow

Im looking for plenty of power when Im towing the camper or the loader. Also would like better mpg. And a nice sounding exhaust note.

8. Mopar44094

Mopar44094 Junior Member
    from IL

9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

10. BigDaddyT

BigDaddyT Junior Member
    from Alaska

If it were my money Id get the bully dog.

11. cumminswithplow

Big daddy tell me why.

12. Mopar44094

Mopar44094 Junior Member
    from IL

13. The Boss

Hmm, no problems here or anybody else that I've heard of. Maybe his truck was/is a lemon. Everybody I've talked to loves Banks, including me.

14. cumminswithplow

The Boss,
    Im thinking about the six gun bundle for my truck. From banks. $1600. About 200lb feet of torque. Have you noticed big gains from your system? Do you have the exhaust? Is it loud? What about fuel mileage? Any info will help thanks.

15. The Boss

I have the power pack. The boost and power is pretty good compared to stock. As far as the exhaust goes, as Razorman put it , it sounds like a helicopter taking off! :redbounce

16. BigDaddyT

BigDaddyT Junior Member
    from Alaska

I have found cheaper, reliable, ways to make good power with other manufacturers. I had the edge drag comp and loved it. Banks is a drop in the bucket for what these engines are capable of. Plus banks is expensive. I was happier when I jumped ship. Banks has the best advertising and sales line hands down. Bang for the buck banks aint it. Edges cheapest smallest box makes 200 lb ft of torque. 3-400 dollars on ebay. I ran this setup without guages. I live in a really cool climate and was quite familiar with what egts to expect from different settings and setups. Though I do not recommend it for heavy towing without the guages. If I hadnt got with Edge I woulda got the bullydog. Bullydog has done some really good stuff. Though the torque dog costs a little more than edge ez. Really though there are so many good options dont limit yourself to just two. Take your time and my advice is to buy something that is upgradeable. Some boxs will pull dual duty. Cost a little more but its worth the money. Plus resale is higher as a upgradeable box will be much more desirable to people looking to upgrade.

200lb ft is probably all your gonna see with a box without piercing the pump wire. A really good setup for towing would be a small box(no pump wire peirce) and a set of dd1s or dd2s with the neccesary guages. You can get 300lb ft like this, easy, and still come in under the 1400 dollar banks kit. Still maintaining good reliability and low egts. A cheap alternative to the dds are the 275s, $250ish if you know where to look. I did these and was happy with the results. 2 hours of work and you have tranny smashing torque. Hope you have a six speed. Anyone who says 200lb ft wont take out an auto is lying or ignorant.

Plus banks advertising was a bit misleading. The warranty issue thing really bummed me out. Magnusson moss doenst really apply to uprating an engine. Overfueling is not covered by warranty no matter what anyone tells you. I do like that banks sued DR P(doctor of dogs butts) for lying.

Everybody thinks that what they have is the cats meow. Why? Cause they havent seen how much more this engine is capable of. 450hp is easy. Probably not good for plowing but a whole lotta fun. When I first got a original plug in power I couldnt imagine that more power was even possible. Then I put in some 275s and was astonished. Next thing I knew I had super mentals and a drag comp and several grand in the tranny. Who knew these sleds could go 0-60 in 6 seconds.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  17. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

Banks gets my vote. I've got a '95 cummins. it has the stinger plus kit, a phscotty air intake with a k&n filter, 4" exhuast, and some custom fuel work. it has all the power in the world. i get 23-24 mpg driving back and fourth to college. i get 18-19 pulling my 12,500 GVW dump trailer around town. i Love the banks kit and the gauges. it can run 38lbs. of boost. Pulled the sled great too. now i just need tires that bite the track better.

18. BigDaddyT

BigDaddyT Junior Member
    from Alaska

How much money did you spend and how much hp did it give you?

19. face-shot

face-shot Junior Member
    from NH

Try Edge Products

I have 2 Duramax SB7s. One with banks one with the edge products chip. Both are good products, but the edge truck definitely feels like it makes more power and is more fun to drive. Both are easy to install the edge literally took 5 mins. Another thing that I like the edge if u get it without the Attitude option the are no switches inside the cab. U change the the chip setting by put the truck in run with out the engine runing pump the gas 3 time shift from rev to neutral to rev then 1 for stock setting 2 next level and so on. Down side is you cant change it on the fly but i have never found any reason to do that. If you put a chip u SHOULD get a EGT and boost gage.

20. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

I like Edge products.
    Banks does not give you enough bang for the buck.