1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bully Dog or similar?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nightstar, Dec 9, 2004.

1. nightstar

nightstar Junior Member

Salt Dog or similar?

I have been plowing fort a few years and never had the money to get a sander. Now I can and I have been looking and reading about the poly units. I have seen the competition and like the specs on the salt-dog but don't have any owners in the area to see one. I would like to know if the spread rates for sand/salt mix is compareable to gas models or if sand through the electric models is just a bad idea. I am working for a commercial group with some large accounts and want to make the extra money they offer but I don't like equipment with hassles. Any advise?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I dont know anybody that has a poly v box , nor have I seen anyone with one in their truck. I have 2 regular v boxes 1 is a western and the other I dont know who makes it. My older one is 11 years old , gas powered , and still in good shape. Parts that have been replaced are spinner bearings every 2 or 3 years, mufflers , and some minor welding . These units make me money, I grease them before every storm , wash them after every storm and oil them down. I would go with the proven units. I load 3 tons in one unit with extra side boards. They spread sand , salt , and I did fertilizer on a golf driving range once.

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I just bought a speedcaster II. It seems to handle wet sand fine as long as it's not frozen stiff. It has a small belt on the bottem of the hopper that feeds the spinner. It is all run by one electric motor. It seems to work great. Oh Yeah, it is only a tailgate spreader.