1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Vs Bagged

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Fourbycb, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Ok People Heres One for everyone to Ponder

Why is Bagged Salt so much more Bulk Salt
    Example A ton of bulk cost 100.00 per ton A ton of Bagged 400.00 Can someone explain why it cost 300..00 to put salt in 49 bags
    Lets see who has the perfect answer
  2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

cause they can
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Takes a whole factory to put it in bags.
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

They charge more for bagged salt because they have the opportunity
    to make obscene profits every winter season, and the middle men
    make even more money than an individual providing the deicing servive.

You have to understand that bagged halite is sideline for the salt providers,
    and as it is seasonal. They will make a killing on it as the cost to produce
    it is zero, as it is salt that is simply pulled away from the bulk salt hoisted
    out of the mine and it is untreated salt which is why it turns into a solid
    block of halite.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Answer: ~ You're getting robbed if you're paying $100.00 per ton for bulk.

What do I win??
  6. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Wow I'm glad I don't have those prices. I pay $28 a ton when I get it by the dump truck load. $39 a ton when I go to just laod my salter at a local guy. And $172 a 2450 lbs pallet. However I am in Utah. which has major suppliers.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Not only does it cost to bag the salt, the salt in them is dryer, so there is a process that includes drying the salt. Here is is about 3 time more expensive for bagged then it is for bulk. That being said I am buying from a middle man, who is making a profit as well. Nothing can be done about it. It's kind of like the real world. It takes money to make money. The little guys have hitch mount spreaders, and mostly spread bagged salt. So if you spend the money on bigger equipment and have the work for it, go with bulk and put more money in your pocket per pound.
  8. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

I think I hate you. You pay way less than half of what I do for bulk delivered.
  9. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Have to pay guys to put it into bags, load it onto a pallet, stack the pallet, then later bring the pallet back out, then unload it from the pallet into the persons vehicle that is buying the bagged salt. They're moving the product like three or four times.
  10. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

Just so you know-

about salt that is sold in bags under the municipal bidding process

there is no extra charge for pallts or bagged product.

The only Halite that I know of that is dried is mined and packed by Windsor Salt.

Solar salt is harvested, washed with salt water, dried in a rotary kiln, screened,

graded and then packed for the end user.
  11. wmslc

wmslc Junior Member

My Uncle owns a water care business, I get all of my bagged salt at cost. I still pay a little over $ 200/ ton. Bagged salt seems to be more fine than bulk, and I assume more pure than bulk (his is over 99% pure and whiter than snow). I don't have the best speader on the market (vee pro 6000), but it seems to work substantially better with bagged salt.

Bagged salt is much more expensive, and much more time consuming to use on a large scale. When my company requires more salt per app, I will be switching to bulk (which has more up front costs....but still a better choice if you're in it for the long haul).

O.P. Just like in any industry, everytime a product changes hands some added cost is expected. I'm sure the factory adds a lot because they bag the 'best' salt they can and package it to be appealing to consumers.

I hope that I could help justify the extra cost for bagged salt.
  12. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

As I said above, I use both bagged and bulk. The reason I like bag salt is I can use this in my hitch mount salters which don't take from my rear view. Much better for plowing. My truck with a bulk salter is used when we need the extra help. Otherwise I use is to go around and touch up and resalt properties. I do have a back-up camera on it. But still nothing is as good as being able to see behind you uninhibited.
  13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

if you want to see and not add any length to your truck go with the setup I have. Get yourself a truckcraft dump insert with the replacement tailgate spreader. It is lighter then any poly spreader, It only adds about a foot to the length of your truck, you have no obstruction of view as it sits so low in your bed and you can still load the the thing with 2 tons of salt. you can go even higher if your gvwr is more. Some guys dont want to deal with putting the bed up, but I put it up half way and run the lot and i always have continous feed. I think I would only put a v box in a dedicated salt truck just because they would not have to be backing up a million times in the night, other then that I am going to run truckcrafts for the rest of my life. Just an option for the future.
  14. kwc

kwc Junior Member

I run a snowex 1875 tailgate spreader. To avod the high cost of bagged salt. I built a plywood box and put it in my truck bed and have bulk loaded into it. Then shovel it into the spreader when needed. I can still see when backing up. Also a shovel full of salt is lighter and easier to handle than a wet 80lbs bag of salt.