1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk straight salt VS. Calcium pellets

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bterry, Nov 13, 2009.

1. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I need help justifying this to myself. Please check my thought process on this.

I've got a customer that I've had for years now wanting a price for calcium on one of his smaller commercial lots. I charge $150 per application of bulk salt spread out of my little dump truck and hydraulic tailgate replacement spreader. That truck salts 99% of my lots as it can hold up to roughly 3 ton per trip out.

The calcium pellets would need to go in the pickup truck I drive with the little tailgate spreader I keep on it to touch up or do the smaller lots when I don't feel like firing up the dump truck.

I have estimated the lot takes about 600 pounds of bulk to do (about $30 worth), leaving $100 for me to work with - we'll call it delivery. Figuring the little spreader is a bit more accurate, and calcium works a tad bit better - I can reduce the amount of calcium spread by 25%. That figure comes out to 450 pounds or 9 50# bags. Bags will cost me $16 a piece or say $150. Add the same cost I'm spreading the salt for ($100 from above), plus the additional aggrivation of having to handle and spread personally - $100... I get $350.

Let me break it down:
    Salt - $30
    Delivery of salt - $120
    Total for salt - $150

Calcium - $150
    Dellivery of calcium - $120
    Additional aggrivation - $100
    Total for calcuim - $370

I have my own thoughts on how much more calcium costs, but this doesn't seem quite right - what am I missing? Would you spread 16 bags out of a pickup for an additional $100? Thanks.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

If your costs are the same as mine, Thats what I'd charge him......it will be a pita, so charge accordingly... once they see the price they might just change their minds.....why would they want cacl anyway?