1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk small crystal white rock salt DC area AVAILABLE

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jwardjr, Jan 25, 2014.

1. jwardjr

jwardjr Junior Member

Cheap, screened bright white Morton small crystal rock salt.

Able to go into spreaders.

19600 Frederick Rd Germantown, MD 301-428-3200

bulk_3.jpg

bulksalt.png

2. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

How much a ton? Delivery?

3. jwardjr

jwardjr Junior Member

What quantity would you like? What area?
    Picked up $163.00 per ton.
    If buying a full load $110.00 delivered within 50mi from Baltimore harbor

4. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

163 a ton... are you serious?

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

:laughing:

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You guys laugh, but it won't be long until all bulk will be that price due to the shortage.

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

No that ain't going to happen.

This whole shortage thing is ********. We have no issues getting our salt at normal prices.

People should have stocked up a long time ago

We have 16 pallets left and 25 tons left I think

8. jwardjr

jwardjr Junior Member

Shortages? Really? No there is no shortage. There is no snow and there is no cold weather either. Life is grand, on the beach sipping a pina Colata.

Now reality.
    There is cold!
    There is snow!
    There is Ice and there is a shortage, Yep no BS!

International salt, Morton Salt NO BAGGED PRODUCT those BTW are the big guys!
    Scotwood - (Closed for the season) Major distributor selling retail stores
    Coburn - Largest Distributor of MAG dead sea works product in the United States. On allocation as ships come in, next ship due is Feb 11th, I will get two loads of MAG dead sea works product.
    Eddie Mercer - Bulk and Bagged product, Out but has bulk salt $163.00 per ton.

So, $110.00 per ton is a laughable price? You want cheap, buy the dark stuff with the rock in it. See how that works in your electric powered tailgate spreader (Hum, I smell something burning, better check on that motor!)

And $163.00 per ton picked up. So that is to high too? Not everyone has
    1. Commercial Property to store the product.
    2. Bins built to hold the product.
    3. A flat solid concrete lot able to back a tractor trailer with a dump trailer in.
    4. A dedicated machine and a man to load. Etc.

Oh I have delivered bagged salt by the truckload to some of you guys. No machine on site. No area for a tractor trailer to get into. Delivered to a house and get stuck in the front yard (tow truck required) No pallet pullers etc. All for $300.00 profit.:realmad:
    Nope I will stick with My Yard, My Machines and picked up at my store and making a profit.payup
    It is laughable, one guy with a wornout 20 year old Pickup is an Expert in the ways of Ice control product availability;) and is going to tell someone that is a retail supplier and has been doing it for 30 years that there is no shortage!?
    Wow, the internet brings them out. That! Is! LAUGHABLE! :laughing:

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You have no idea who I am lol.

Everything you just ranted off on doesn't even apply to me.

We have no issues with salt. I think we're sitting on 25-50 tons need to confirm it. Just got a semi of mag not to long ago

163 a ton is laughable. Sadly what distributors are charging is nothing more than price gouging. I understand you're not setting the prices but rather who you buy from is. Which is really sad. At those prices you might as well hang up snow plowing. That's over 300 for 2 yards. We have one site that goes through 20 yards a storm

We are supplied by a national company.

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's actually going to snow in our area again :laughing:

10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

No shortage? Really? Check around guys. You may be the one guy in the country that has no problem getting his loads and depending on your area and how hard that supplier gets hit with orders, you may be right. However, the other 99% flat aren't getting their salt. You don't like $110/ton? You sure as hell wouldn't like $240/ton bagged product right now.
    It is what it is. If you need salt you're going to have to pay. Not everyone can stock pile 100 toms of salt to let sit all winter in hopes that you might have that winter that trumps all others every 10 years or so.

11. jwardjr

jwardjr Junior Member

I rest my case. EVERYONE (but one) is finding it hard to find product.

12. Marek

Marek Senior Member

We got in 6 out of 10 tandem loads we ordered the same day as we called . But we are over buying as the shortage will get worse. If you have people who are willing pay those numbers I say go for it. As he said not everyone has a storage facility for bulk material. In Monkey county storing bulk is even more of a pain due to the tree huggers.

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We just had two rigs of mag delivered

14. jwardjr

jwardjr Junior Member

Yea for us to, bulk is not an issue, yet.

It's the bag product (Calcium, MAG pellets and Salt) that's an issue.

We have resorted to selling potassium chloride blends. We have four loads going out tomorrow and three on Tuesday.

Seems to be going good, just have to think outside the box.

We've sold about 50 loads so far this past month.

15. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Make it while you can. From what I have been reading we are going to stay in this pattern thru Feb

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You have 25-50 ton in stock and one of your sites takes 20 yards. Is this the site you use the 3 lane wide blades on? We have about 250 ton of salt in stock but I'm worried we're going to run out. $110 delivered isn't out to lunch bit will agree $163 picked up is a little pricy. But like everything he who has the gold can make the rules.

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Just got two more loads today. And 2 tractor trailers of bagged mag

Personally I think we're done for this season. The last few storms have fell completly apart for the next two weeks

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I have photos of the loaders and pushers in the what did you do todaythread. Pg116

19. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Latest word from the big salt distributors , if it isn't already ordered you will not be getting it. They have put a freeze on future orders, if your order is in the system then you are ok if not, best of luck . You will be getting more than 163 per ton from the smaller guys if you have it in stock