1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by circlercorp, Jan 9, 2009.

1. circlercorp

circlercorp Junior Member
    from ohio

Iam looking for bulk salt. I live in ohio but would like to go to indiana to get it because i heard it was cheaper. is that true? If so does anyone know where to get it? curently paying $95/ton picked up.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

95 a ton is pretty good im paying 110/ton

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I don't think you will find it cheaper but I guess it's worth trying

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In Michigan its"find salt" not how much can i save! I just paid $160.00 a ton this morning

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

where are you in Ohio

6. circlercorp

circlercorp Junior Member
    from ohio

North West

I am in Kenton Ohio. I got 400 ton but would like to find cheaper salt some where

7. mkatrucking

mkatrucking Junior Member
    from Iowa

Call kevin 563-529-1262

8. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thats a good price. I have salt in Ashtabula at $98/ton. I have a guy that hauls for me back to the toledo area for a reasonable rate. If interested let me know.

Dave

9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Our last salt just came from Ohio, I'm in Indiana if that helps!

10. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

If you want salt why not just go to one of the mines locally preferably Morton Salt at Painesville-Fairport, and pay cash for it at the scale house like so many other do?

Ithere is no reason you could not buy pallets of bagged salt the scale house either.

leon

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  11. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

Great Idea...Morton does that? Do you have to wait in the long lines to get to the scalehouse or can you bypass them and get your salt quicker?

12. leon

leon Senior Member

rock salt salrs

bagged and bulk salt can be ordered and paid for by phone if things have not changed
    but you need to get the trailer and truck weighed for they have it on file for the transaction and their recorsds for repeat runs with the same truck/trailer etc.

This is where you all need to get together and bypass the commission agents and buy box cars of bagged salt directly from Morton during the summer and save a lot of money-the salt will not go bad.

you could store it inside with a small herd of dehumidifiers to take up the moisture
    in a coverit building etc.or a dry warehouse with dehumidifiers etc.

Buying bagged in large quantities in the off season will save you more money as you are getting a stable price not subject to demand pricing which is a panic button and you will have no inventory worries as it is packaged in pallet bags as a rule, it may be lumpy but tossing the bag on the ground will work wonders

Don't forget that you can buy a lot of bagged salt and ship it with rail cars a forty foot car is capable of carrying 50 plus tons of bagged salt simply depending on the size bags
    purchased.

leon

Dont forget the business is demand driven- I had to put up with thier competitor for 22 years, so I know. there is no love lost there.

Regarding cash sales:
    I am sure they still do, I would rather see your money spent at Morton anyway;

If you want pallets of bags you need to pick up a loading ticket just like for bulk to show the order to the dock boss etc.

Call the main number for the mine at "Painesville-Fairport Harbor, Ohio" and ask for the sales desk; cash sales, Visa, AMEX, business credit cards, mean less paper work, no need for a letter of credit in good standing, etc.

Regarding traffic; ninety nine percent of it depends on truck and rail traffic flow as the overnights are normally slower to load trucks so the waiting time is generally muchless.

13. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

"I would rather see your money spent at Morton anyway:"....Do you work for Morton? You make some great points..however, if I was a morton bagged salt distributor...i'd be pretty fired up if morton would sell direct to a customer I would sell to especially at the same price they would sell a large volume distributor....wouldn't you agree? As far as buying a box car full of bagged salt in the off season...it is a great idea...but who finances those kinds of endeavors? Ship rail cars...I understand how the railroad works...I find it doubtful if a rail line would ship 1 car, and if they did, I doubt if it would be at an affordable rate. That means not only do I have to invest in a whole box car of bagged salt, but now I have to have a rail siding to get the 1 rail car delivered to me....or find someone's rail yard to have it delivered to. And I am sure they would charge me a hefty through put charge to handle the 1 rail car.

I then would have to have a fork lift to unload it, a flat bed to truck it to me and a large enough building to house all those bags...sounds like a pretty big undertaking to me.

I think I'll buy a bagger for $60,000 and bag my own salt and avoid all the above.

I knew a leon that works at JTO...are you him?

14. mkatrucking

mkatrucking Junior Member
    from Iowa

kimber.... I love the bagger idea!!! A genius must have thought of that, probably from iowa. haha keep in touch

15. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm sure he already did....Will do...hope all is well.

16. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Clark Lawn, Where do you get your bulk salt?

17. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

I found a guy out of pa, i don't know why i can only find his fax number, but he was $100 per delievered to ct, min 24 tons, next day. 1-610-497-9390

18. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I just paid $66 a ton. And that wasn't preordered! I know American Rock Salt here in Pa was getting $65 a ton earlier this year, but you had to be on the list! One of the site sponsors gets some of their salt from them. Alot of guys around me get account and then sells truck loads of their salt and make 20-50 percent.