1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bulk salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by qualitylawnman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. qualitylawnman

qualitylawnman Junior Member

I have benn using bag salt for years and am sick of paying $4.00 a bag. I have a tailgate spreader and I'm thinking about buying a couple ton of bulk salt. Bulk salt sales for about $60.00/ton. Just wondering if I could store the bulk salt in a crate box when I go out. Not real experience with bulk salt, I'm also afraid of it freezing up.
  2. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

depends on the temperature, I would not store it ain a box in your truck if it is kept outside. If you keep it in a garage at night that will work, but if its outside, forget it you will have issues.I empty any extra salt out of my truck at the end of salt runs, plus it depends on the spreader you have, if you have a basic buyers plastic spreader, it won't run bulk salt through it.
  3. qualitylawnman

Why will the buyers spreader not run bulk salt.
  4. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

unless you have a vibrator it will bore a hole right through the middle and the rest will stick on the sides.
  5. qualitylawnman

But is it not the same salt as bag salt.
  6. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

just telling you what I know, it won't work
  7. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Bulk salt is exposed to more elements like moisture and humidity. Salt absorbs water causing it to clump. Where bagged salt is more protected to a degree if the bag is still sealed.
  8. qualitylawnman

Ok Thanks for all the help guys. Another question do you prefer tailgate spreader or v box we go through about a ton of salt each time out
  9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Go buy a snow ex 8000 or salt dog or something like that. They can hold about 1.5 yards you will make more money with the bulk and you will not be out opening bags of salt at 4:00am

Just my 2 cents
  10. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Hello quality, what part of wv are you from, I'm here near clarksburg/ morgantown area. Pay the xtra money and get at least a 2-stage tailgate unit, i just upgraded this year from a single stage unit. I run magic salt and no more vibrators now. The vibrators do work pretty good on the single stage units though,just have to watch and not get big chunks or rocks from bulk products. Welcome aboard.
  11. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I have been running bulk salt through my snow ex 575 for 4 years now and have never had a problem. I store my bulk salt inside the shop out of the elements and have no problem with clumping. During rain days and slow times I have my guys bag up the salt in the empty 50# fiber grass seed bags, they work great. They then stack the bags on a pallet. All we have to do is load the pallet in the truck and off we go.
  12. qualitylawnman

We are around the Charleston Huntington area
  13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The amount of cost you have to pay workers to do this doesnt make sense. Your paying more than if you just went and bought bagged salt.
  14. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I run snowex 575's and 1075's with bulk salt and just had to put vibrators on all of them. We load the salt in the hoppers just before pulling out the lot. We do put a couple 5 gallon buckets in the back for hand spreaders. The buckets do tend to freeze solid at times but it depends on how the temp is outside... We have a pile with just a tarp over it and just a thin 1inch crust formed over the top. But the core is loose with no clumps. We hand shoval it into the hoppers unless I have the skidsteer on the job that week....But always empty them when done, A friend of mine left about a hundred pounds in the hopper and it froze solid overnight...
  15. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

No I'm not paying more than bagged. I pay $43.00 per ton delivered to my shop. It takes 2 men about 1 1/2 hours to bag 1 ton. Now lets look at the numbers. 2 men at $10 per hour for 1 1/2 hrs= $30. Keep in mind these are full time employees, and when we can't do any outside work I have to keep them busy doing something or send them home. Cost of ice melt is $.0215 per pound or $1.08 per 50#. Labor to bag it is $.75 per 50 #. I get the bags free from my seed/ fertilizer supplier. So it is only costing me $1.83 per 50# bag. The best price I have ever gotten for bagged rock salt was $3.48 . So I'm saving $1.65 per 50 # bag.
    So where am I going wrong?
  16. Landscape guy

Landscape guy Junior Member

tymusic I started using Clearlane bulk salt in my tailgate salter , i built lid on my box so i can cover a ton of salt, which i like to purchase the day before the snow so i don't wait in line .Even when i have some left for days in the box it doesn't harden when im stuck to get regular bulk salt it hardens the next day.
  17. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I've been thinking about this as well. My thought is to put bulk salt in 5 gallon buckets. I can store the buckets full of salt in my warehouse and when a storm comes just load the buckets in the truck. There are a couple of donut shops that sell the buckets for $1 each w/lids. I agree with dailylc ,I think there is a lot more profit in bulk and if you bucket the salt it would probably be easier to load than bags.
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We sell salt in 1500lbs sacks.
    We put them on pallets so they can be forklifted in and out of the truck.
    Easy to handle, easy to store, much cheaper then bags without the hassles that come with bulk. The material is screened and free of debris. The guys use shovels or a 3 gallon bucket as a scoop to fill the spreader. The bags have a chute in the bottom so you can dump load them into hopper spreaders.
  19. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I tried putting it in buckets at first and found that it would clump up, due to it not being able to breath and condensation building up in the bucket. I also found that I was limited to how many buckets I could put in the back of the truck, thus making more trips back to the shop. Hope this helps! James
  20. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

do you know where in akron ohio i can get a 1500lbs bag