1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bulk salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by t608, Sep 18, 2011.

1. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

I have been going to the local gravel pit to pick up sand/salt as need before a storm. This year I'm thinking about buying the salt and then the sand mixing it my self.

Are the saving enough to make this worth my while? How much sand to salt is need? And most important, where do I buy the salt?? I live RI.

I forgot off hand how much I have been paying for the salt/sand mix, I wanna say any from 65 to 95 a ton but, I will look that up to make sure.

Thanks!

2. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

I looked up what I paid last year or back in January. I paid $39.00 a ton for salt/sand mix.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Depends how much you use over the season... you can mix it as "hot" as you want... I'm personally 10:1 but others are 20%, 30%, 50%...depends on what you want to accomplish.... with a 10:1 ratio I mix my own for $13 yard (thats with the materials being delivered to my site) and I could buy at the local supplier for $39 like you.... but you also have to take into account where your going to store it? how are you going to load it? Once you figure this things out, you will be able to decide if mixing will be right for you.......

4. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

Sounds like it may be worth the little extra work. I do have a big tent I can store the mix and I have a tractor to load the mix on to the truck.
    I don't need much of a melting action. The mix I pick didn't seem to have a lot of salt in.

So when you say 10:1 you mean 10 tons of sand to 1 ton of salt? That's probably what I go thru. I will have to look that up.

I can't seem to find a place that sells bulk salt.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't know where your located in RI but there's a supplier in Providence harbor.
    I passby it all the time on my way to CC. You can see it from 95 north.Maybe someone local has more info.

6. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

You know I always wonder if that was salt I was seeing when I drove by. I live down in westerly so that's only a 45min ride.

Thanks

7. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

I called waterson terminal but she said that they don't sell salt. The salt there is truck out by b&b or bmb. So I guess I'm out of luck, unless I'm not talking to the right person.

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Google International Salt or Morton,they have contracts all over region for ports that handle their salt storage and loading etc.Check with your local Public works Dept and see where they get theirs.Not sure how much you use but there is usually a min. order.
    You don't show up at these places with a mason dump.We pick up 22 tons per trip.

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

t608...how much sand do you go though a season? if you only go through 2-3 triaxle loads, why not just get a few ton from a local landscaping co that uses salt?

10. t608

t608 Junior Member
    from RI

Last year I went through 12 ton. I was hoping to go with my mason dump and pick up two ton of salt. Bring it back and mix it up with 10-15 ton of sand. The saving would be pretty good, you probably save about $300 for 12 ton if you can get the goods and mix yourself.

I think most of the landscapers here just pick the mix up at the gravel pit. There are so many companies around here that I don't think one company is that big enough where they have more than one or two sanders out on the road.