1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Salt, Tailgate Spreader and SUV...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Emstaxi, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Anyone use bulk salt through a meyers/buyers tailgate spreader mounted on an suv? If so, how do you carry xtra salt or how and where do you reload? I'm thinking of get a vibrator and switching to bulk. Alsotryingto figure how much time will I save or add switching to this method.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of suv ?bagged would probaly be less messy as long as the hatch could be
    opened with the spreader on . unless you going to put bulk in 5 gallon buckets.

JR

3. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I have a Chevy Tahoe. Never thought about 5 gallon buckets. I may have to consider that. Right now i use bagged #1 rock salt but it seems more cost effective to to run bulk. I have 2 church parking lots, a restaurant lot, and a small office parking. I usually go through 200- 400 lbs for each of the bigger lots and 200 lbs for the smaller lot. Trying to save where i can.

4. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

A 5ga bucket holds 50# of salt, but you can not stack them as well as you could 50# or 80# bags of salt, so you would be filling up your entire "trunk" and back seat.

I use 20 & 35gal trash cans full of salt in the back of my truck, but they wouldn't work inside a SUV.

5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

For your bigger lots just ask if you can store your salt you need for that lot on the premises. That will be a little easier for you.

James

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i did a church a few yrs ago. they left me store a skid of salt on the property.
    i would drop 10 bags at each location. the day of the storm hide them behind the dumpster
    whatever . my wife would kick my a$$ if i put salt in the back of her excursion

JR

7. DJC

DJC Senior Member

If you know someone who is a com fisherman have him get you a few fishing totes. They can also be stack on top of each other so that would work just fine. If you would like a pic of what they look like just let me know.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I am using Rubber Maid containers. You can stack them and with the lids you can leave them in your truck. I have the small ones. They are 10 gallons and are pretty heavy when full.

9. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Greetings all! I started this post last year and would like to know if anyone hasany new suggestions? I have a Chevy Tahoe with a Meyers Mini Spreader. I am looking for another tailgate/hitch mount spreader that will have a larger capacity. I also plan on using a vibrator this year so that i can save money by running bulk salt.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Mini 575 on my truck with a topper and it will spread bulk salt, once in a while it will clog up. I like others have used both bagged and bulk The bulk i put in 5 gal. buckets, i think that i'm going to try the plastic totes this year.

11. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Are you using a pick up truck or suv? Are you alone in your truck? How long does it take you to load the spreader using the buckets if you are alone? I am aone man operartion and looking to save time lol.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey , just buy bagged salt - i use the buckets pretty often at times, it works great ... But this year the coast difference between bagged, and bulk is so minimal , your gonna waste alot of time loading up those buckets , just to save a few dollars

as for the spreader, the meyer blaster , with a vib is the best way to go

13. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have a truck with a topper and i am alone when plowing and salting, i will load up the truck prior to the storm, once i'm out it only takes me 1-3 min. to load the hopper. My biggest salting account only takes one full hopper and thats putting it down heavy.

14. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Thanks for the info. I will try the bucket method when the first snow comes, unless I am lucky enuff to get my hands on a cheap truck and bed salter.